Do You Have to Have Surgery to Correct an Open Bite?

What alternatives are available? At what point is surgery necessary?

Surgical correction of open bites is the most effective

+2

It really depends on the cause of the open bite.  If it is significant and a true "skeletal" open bite as opposed to one caused by tooth position or a habit such as tongue thrusting, then surgical correction in conjunction with orthodontic treatment is often the best option.  A consultation with an experienced orthodontist  is required to help determine the best route for your situation.

Atlanta Orthodontist

Surgery is Not the Only Solution for Open Bite

+1

I cannot diagnose your particular situation without seeing you, photos, X-rays, models, etc. However, you should seek out consults with experienced orthodontists in your area and look into possibilities with traditional braces and/or Invisalign.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Do you need surgey to correct an open bite

+1

I cannot diagnose your particular situation without seeing you, photos, X-rays, models, etc.  I would seek care from an orthodontist in your area to find out what you options are.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist