Do You Have to Have Surgery to Correct an Open Bite?

What alternatives are available? At what point is surgery necessary?

Surgical correction of open bites is the most effective

It really depends on the cause of the open bite.  If it is significant and a true "skeletal" open bite as opposed to one caused by tooth position or a habit such as tongue thrusting, then surgical correction in conjunction with orthodontic treatment is often the best option.  A consultation with an experienced orthodontist  is required to help determine the best route for your situation.

Atlanta Orthodontist

Surgery is Not the Only Solution for Open Bite

I cannot diagnose your particular situation without seeing you, photos, X-rays, models, etc. However, you should seek out consults with experienced orthodontists in your area and look into possibilities with traditional braces and/or Invisalign.

Do you need surgey to correct an open bite

I cannot diagnose your particular situation without seeing you, photos, X-rays, models, etc.  I would seek care from an orthodontist in your area to find out what you options are.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Dentist