Should I Get Surgery to Correct Asymmetry? (photo)

I'm 19. One breast is a B and one is a full C according to measurements. Should I wait a few years to see if they even out, or is it highly unlikely? I am so distressed by this that I have recently lost my appetite and lost 5 pounds, have been feeling depressed and am ashamed to appear in a bathing suit. My parents won't pay for surgery. How much would surgery cost? Is the difference large enough that surgery is appropriate? If I got one implant, would the other breast eventually sag?

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Given the extremes of your symptoms I do not think surgery will help you as you will 100% have some asymmetry after and i would be concerned your symptoms would get worse

Breast augmentaiton for breast asymmetry

+1

Dear Anaonymousinconnecticut:

You have beautiful breasts with a certain amount of asymmetry.  This is not part of a disease process and is therefore normal, but perhaps not aesthetically optimal.  Breast augmentation with two implants of slightly different size will fix this and remove this distraction from your figure. 

In terms of timing: by 19 your should be fully developed.  If 3 months go by and there has been no change in bust size then there is no reason not to go ahead with augmentation.  Since you are slender and have such a nice starting point I am confident that you will have a wonderful result. 

You will need two implants; everyone sags a little over time (you should never have a problem with this as long as you don't get "DD" breasts); cost (in my practice) is $6450 including gel implants, anesthesia, surgicenter, and surgical fees.

Make sure you get an opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon and that you see a complete portfolio of pre- and post-op photos so you can get an idea of what types of results are reasonable for someone with your frame.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Should I Get Surgery to Correct Asymmetry?

+1

The photos do demonstrate asymmetry between the breasts. Options are Brava unilaterally, but very difficult to use. Small implant operation, fat grafting operation or a combination of both or all 3. Seek in person evaluations from boarded PSs in your area. 

Correcting breast asymmetry

+1

It is possible to improve the asymmetry, and make your breasts extremely close in size by using slightly different implants in each breast.  You are likely to still have some degree of asymmetry, but most women do.  Future sagging is really dependent on weight changes with age and pregnancy and varies greatly from one woman to the next.  It would be difficult to correct your condition with a single implant on one side.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Breast Augmentation can improve asymmetry

+1

All women have differences between their breasts.  In your case there is a cup size difference between the two. This can be improved with breast augmentation. Usually I recommend augmenting both breasts but will use implants of different sizes to improve the size difference. Augmenting both breast permits a better match in the shape of the breasts as well as the volume.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants would help tremendously

+1

Yes. If you have implants placed in different sizes, this will significantly improve your asymmetry. It is a simple one hour procedure that is performed in the office OR. Prices and can be discussed at a free consultation. Remember that most women do have a degree of asymmetry.

David Rankin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry

+1

Breast asymmetry such as yours if fairly common.  I doubt that you will even out over time unless your breast have not finished growing.  Surgically, you will probably benefit the most from a breast augmentation with different volumes to improve your symmetry.  Even with this, absolute symmetry may not be attainable, but based on your photographs, you should get breast that are fairly even.

I also want to touch on your emotional state.  While I can understand that your breast may cause you some distress, your comments about weight loss and appetite loss are signs of depression.  I would strongly recommend that you discuss your issues with either your primary care physician or a phychiatric consultant as you may need to be placed on medication for depression.  Correcting your breast asymmetry may not change these issues.

Donald Griffin, MD