Ask a doctor

What is the Best Surgery to Correct an Asymmetrical Chin?

I am getting a rhinoplasty this month, but I just recently started to consider surgery for my chin. I had braces when I was younger for a few years, and I was told I just have a really bad cross bite. My orthodontist and Doctors have asked if there was a trauma that caused this but it was always that way. My teeth sit properly together when my mouth is closed. Would a chin implant, jaw implant,or sliding genioplasty most likely give me the best results to make my face appear symmetrical?

Doctor Answers 3

You may need jaw surgery

It is hard to tell from your pictures, however, if you have been told you have a cross-bite and have an asymmetric appearance to your lower face, you may need surgery on your lower jaw (mandible), upper and lower jaw and/ or chin (genioplasty).  I would recommend a thorough exam by a craniofacial surgeon (one who is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeon) or a maxillofacial surgeon.  These surgeons should then communicate with your orthodontist as to what their plan was with your jaw.  Those two in concert can create a plan to fix this asymmetry. 

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Have a question? Ask a doctor

Whats the best surgery to correct an asymmetrical chin?

The options you mentioned (chin implant or sliding genioplasty) are all appropriate for correction of chin asymmetry. To decide which is best for you, a consultation is necessary.

Ramtin Kassir MD, NY, NJ Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ramtin Kassir, MD
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.