What is the Best Surgery to Correct an Asymmetrical Chin?

I am getting a rhinoplasty this month, but I just recently started to consider surgery for my chin. I had braces when I was younger for a few years, and I was told I just have a really bad cross bite. My orthodontist and Doctors have asked if there was a trauma that caused this but it was always that way. My teeth sit properly together when my mouth is closed. Would a chin implant, jaw implant,or sliding genioplasty most likely give me the best results to make my face appear symmetrical?

You may need jaw surgery

+1

It is hard to tell from your pictures, however, if you have been told you have a cross-bite and have an asymmetric appearance to your lower face, you may need surgery on your lower jaw (mandible), upper and lower jaw and/ or chin (genioplasty).  I would recommend a thorough exam by a craniofacial surgeon (one who is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeon) or a maxillofacial surgeon.  These surgeons should then communicate with your orthodontist as to what their plan was with your jaw.  Those two in concert can create a plan to fix this asymmetry. 

Whats the best surgery to correct an asymmetrical chin?

+1

The options you mentioned (chin implant or sliding genioplasty) are all appropriate for correction of chin asymmetry. To decide which is best for you, a consultation is necessary.

Ramtin Kassir MD, NY, NJ Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Asymmetrical chin surgery can be done with rhinoplasty.

+1

Since your bite is good and your teeth come together normally (now), we are concerned with improving the appearance of your chin and jawline area. Your photo shows far less than a careful physical examination by an experienced, board-certified (American Board of Plastic Surgery) plastic surgeon or or oral and maxillofacial surgeon.

While sliding genioplasty surgery uses your own bone, this may not correct your asymmetry as well as an onlay solid silicone implant, and revision is more difficult with bone, and easier with an onlay graft. You may require a jaw implant as well, or even a custom moulage-directed chin-jawline implant.

There is no problem doing this at the same time as rhinoplasty surgery, though of course, your surgeon should do the implant surgery first, and then the more bacteria-contaminated nose surgery.

Your chosen plastic surgeon should have a high degree of comfort with craniofacial procedures, particularly of the mandible, and a oral and maxillofacial surgeon should be comfortable with more complex cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries such as yours. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon