How Much Surgery is Considered 'Reasonable'?

In 2010, textured anatomical implants over the muscle. 2011, right implant pocket made smaller as implant was freely rotating. It is fine now. 6 months on, left implant sheared off causing hematoma,implant is removed. I now want round textured implants under muscle but my (new) PS advise I place implant back so as not to undergo unnecessary trauma, even though he prefers to place implants under. I prefer this but considering previous history is it unwise to pursue my choice against his advice?

Implant pocket

+1

I prefer to have patients have the implants under the muscle for more superior pole coverage, but this is case by case decision.

How much surgery

+1
  • Most patients do best with implants behind the muscle
  • Some patients have enough breast tissue to cover the implant adequately and the implant can be placed in front of the muscle
  • To get the best result, you should consider taking out the other implant, letting the space heal and starting over with submuscular implants

James Shaw, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Implant position for revision surgery

+1

For a number of reasons I would prefer to place your implants under the muscle. I don't quite understand the issue proposed by your surgeon. Perhaps getting a second evaluation by another surgeon would be appropriate for you! After 3 surgeries, it would be nice to get you to the outcome you want.

Thanks for ;your question, best wishes.