Is Good Implants Outcome More Difficult for Differently Sized and Shaped Breasts?

I'm severely disproportionate with different areola sizes also and am worried that a breast augmentation will still make me look odd even with a bigger size. I breastfed for 8 months and it made their size difference even worse. Is an implant surgery with a positive outcome more difficult to achieve because of my horrible disfigurement? :(

+1

Is Good Implants Outcome More Difficult for Differently Sized and Shaped Breasts? In short, yes. There are several different features of your breast which must be addressed in one procedure. The chance that every single asymmetry will be corrected in less than someone who is simply has small but symmetric breasts. A pleasing outcome may be achieved but there is a higher likelihood for a revision or "touch-up" 

Very nice outcome possible for you with appropriate planning

+1

Hi there-

I do think that you could achieve a very pleasing and closely symmetric outcome through modern breast enhancement techniques... There are a few things to consider

Be prepared for the possibility that in order to maximize symmetry and shape, you need two procedures. In cases like yours, achieving maximum symmetry is very difficult and nearly impossible in a single procedure.

Your left breast will definitely require a reduction/lift technique.

I hope this helps you- don't be discouraged- with good planning and careful execution, you should be able to have breasts you love.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Asymmetry and breast implants

+1

Everyone is asymmetric.  Good results can be obtained in your case.  The  more asymmetric they are, the more difficult to match them up.

Implants and Asymmetrical Breasts

+1

With your degree of asymmetry, you are probably looking at something more than just a regular augmentation.  You may need some sort of lift/ areola reduction at tehs ame time to balance out both sides.  However, that is not to say that you cannot achieve an excellent outcome.  You just need complimentary surgery to the augmentation to help balance the left with the right side.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants are great for making asymmetric breasts more symmetric

+1

Hello - It appears as though you have a tuberous breast, and implants are great at improving breast symmetry in this case.  The breasts may not be identical twins after an augmentation, but they will most likely have better symmetry.  The incisions may go around the areolas or underneath the breasts, so check with your plastic surgeon for the best incision placement for you.  Also, silicone or saline implants can be used and they're both great for breast augmentation.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Difficult starting points for breast augmentation

+1

You have a harder starting point for breast augmentation compared to someone who is more symmetrical.  That doesn't mean that you can't have a really nice result but you need to go to the best, most experienced surgeon in your area.  This isn't a chip shot case.  Your left breast needs a lift plus an implant and the right breast only needs an implant.   So your scars won't match but the volume and shape should be much closer to symmetrical.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry correction very successful.

+1

Hi.

1)  You can be made to look much, much better and symmetrical, but not just with breast implants.

2)  From your picture, I would say you need just a moderate sized breast implant in your right breast.

3)  The left one needs a modified vertical (lollipop scar) breast lift, reshaping the breast tissue, with a different sized implant for symmetry.

4)  We have a big inventory of implants in our operating room.  So we don't decide implant sizes in advance.  We put different sterile sizers in your breasts during surgery to find out which combination of implants will give you the best symmetry and shape.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Asymmetric breasts

+1

While you have significant asymmetry, it does not mean you cannot have a beautiful result. The goal for your surgeon will be to try to get the breasts as symmetric as possible with various techniques before augmenting with implants. This way, using the same style, size and dimensions of implant will remove these variables from your asymmetry. Also, the implants themselves can override some of the asymmetry and produce more symmetry by themselves. Good luck. I think you will have significant improvements.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

ALL Breast are asymmetric to some extent and ALL can be Improved

+1

All breasts are asymmetric to some extent; some more than other. But with proper planning, ALL breasts can be improved and the asymmetry greatly narrowed.

In cases of vast asymmetry, doing the same operation on both sides would just increase the asymmetry. Instead, we would use temporary implants in surgery to pick which implants would go better in each breast and lift the breasts as needed based on their nipple complex location. While perfect symmetry many not always be achieved, it Can be made significantly better.