Was surgery to close over piercing holes, unsuccessful?

I had surgery to get piercings closed on my earlobe...three months later they still look very much the same as they had when I had regularly been putting earrings into them; the backs also still have holes. None of them are smoothed over at all - does this mean that the surgery didn't work? I know that the time for healing can take months but I'd rather not have to pay more for other corrective procedures.

Closing ear piercings

+2
I always perform lap joint flaps to repair earlobe defects. If you were not treated by a board certified plastic surgeon and the holes were sewn together from the frontal view only, then it is completely possible for you to have the described openings.

Ear lobe repair surgery

+1
Typically after surgery to repair gauged ear lobes, some thin, linear scars will be visible, but there should be no holes.  The skin within the piercing should be completely excised for the repair to be successful.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Earlobe repair from the front and back

+1
I repair earlobes after 'gauged' piercings from the front and back side of the earlobe. I then re-pierce the lobe 2 months after surgery, if the patient desires this.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Surgery to close ear piercing may be unsuccessful

+1
Did you clearly state that you want to close them or did you request to just decrease the size of the hole? If your aim is to close them (based on your description), you may need to have them redone. There is a nice, simple technique to achieve this result.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear repair

+1
It's impossible to tell without a photo. The repair of an earlobe can fail but it is rather unlikely. You should check back with your surgeon and get their opinion on whats going on.

Lee E. Corbett, MD