What Surgery Makes the Eyes Bigger?

I was wondering if there are any procedures to to make eyes bigger.

Surgery that makes eyes bigger.

+1

Upper and lower lid blepharoplasty can make the eyes appear to be bigger even though the aperture remains unchanged. Go to the gallery listed below to get an idea.

Sometimes the upper eyelids can hand lower because of congenital weakness of the lid that opens the eyelid or damage to the tendon that the muscle connects to. Surgery can repair these problems and will indeed make the aperture to the eye larger. The surgery is done only occasionally for functional problems.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,22-atlanta-eyelid.htm

Upper eyelid blepharoplasy to make eyes bigger

+1

How to make the eyes look bigger. I am not sure exactly what you are asking. If you are saying that the skin is hanging over the eyes or the eyebrows are low creating a very hooded closed look, then either an upper lid blepharoplasty with or without a browlift can do the trick.

Upper eyelid blepharoplasty

+1

That depends on what the specific problem is. By being too small I assume you mean the distance between the edges of the upper and lower eyelids is too little on straight ahead gaze. This is usually due to a problem with the upper eyelid. Upper eyelid droopiness can be due to 1)excess upper eyelid skin or 2)brow drooping 3)stretching or disruption of the upper eyelid elevating mechanism or 4)a combination of these processes. All are a natural part of the aging process.

It is really a spectrum with only eyelid skin excess at one end & then increasing brow drooping up to only brow drooping at the other end. To see where you lie in this spectrum you can look in a mirror while elevating the eyebrow to a point 5mm above the bony rim above the eye. If the entire droopiness resolves then it is only due to brow drooping. If there is a 50% improvement then the problem is due half to excess eyelid skin & half to brow drooping, etc. If you simulate the brow elevation and upper eyelid skin removal with your fingers but the upper eyelid remains low then #3 is your problem

The treatments urgical removal of the excess eyelid skin &/or surgical lifting of the brow &/or repair or tightening of the eyelid elevating mechanism.

In some cases the problem can be so severe that the visual field is partially obstructed. In such cases health insurance companies will cover the removal of excess eyelid skin &/or repair of the elevating mechanism after a visual field test shows the obstruction. Unfortunately they usually do not cover Brow lifting even if the brow drooping is severe enough to obstruct the visual field. If eyelid skin is removed when a brow lift is required the brow will be pulled down towards the eyelashes compounding the problem.

In extreme cases the eyebrow hair can hang over the eyelashes so that one constantly sees this hair in the visual field. Excess upper eyelid skin is not treatable by laser peeling or any creams.

Eyelid surgery

+1

If you have heavy upper lids with extra skin, an upper lid blepharoplasty can be done.  Taking of the extra skin makes the eyes look more open and bigger.  Otherwise I can't think of anything else you can do. 

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.