Surgery For My Asymmetrical Eyes?

Looking at my photos, eyeA is not symmetrical with eyeB & it really affects my appearance when you see my face as a whole. I believe its the eyelid & the entire shape thats causing the asymmetry. Id like to have surgery on eyeA to make it symmetrical with eyeB (which I think is perfect.) The asymmetry is even worse when I smile. This stresses me out a lot & I HATE how I look because of it. Surgery is possible,correct? Could you give me more info on everything,as well as what you see in my eyes?

Asymmetric eyes vs. body dysmorphia

+3

Everybody has asymmetric eyes, if you look closely enough and measure accurately.  Very detail oriented surgeons will point out those asymmetries to you and discuss whether or not it is worth addressing them surgically.

Often that asymmetry is due to the way the eyeball sits in the bony orbit.

It is just different, that's the way it is.

There are plenty of top notch male models who have significant asymmetries between their eyes, yet they still grace the billboards and covers of magazines.

Patients who have such minimal differences in their eyes are best off accepting that.  Surgery causes scars, no matter how cleverly it is done.

We have all seen far too many patients who chase unattainable perfection.

The eyes can be made to appear more symmetrical

+2

The eyes can be made to appear more symmetrical.  It’s hard to tell from a photograph, but treating the eyelid asymmetry could be helpful for you.  It really depends on the reason for the asymmetry.  If it’s affected when you smile, it may be a nerve problem which can be difficult to treat.  You should see an oculofacial plastic surgeon who has experience with eyelid surgery. 

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Surgery For My Asymmetrical Eyes?

+2

You're good looking and don't need surgery and it's potential risks.  In baseball talk it would be " a long run for a short slide". 

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Eyelid asymmetry

+1

It is interesting to see the differences in opinion in this case. Basically you have a small eyelid crease asymmetry. The most efficient and effective way to remedy that is to inject Juvederm into the inner upper lid. I would stay away from surgery.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Surgery For My Asymmetrical Eyes?

+1

Your issue is one of unrealistic expectations  and for a MINOR normal genetic variant in your anatomy I would recommend not to pursue surgery. 

It is improbable that surgery will be successful in addressing your issue.

+1

Dear RR613

You do have a symmetry issue.  You notice it and surgeons can also see what you are talking about.  However, the landing pad for achieving a satisfactory outcome for you with surgery is very small.  This means that in the best of surgical hands, you are likely to be disappointed with the outcome of surgery.  There is also the possibility that you will correctly feel that surgery has made you worse.

WIth a situation like this, it is important to understand if you might have a component of body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) that sensitizes you to be overly concerned about small differences you correctly perceive in the face.  If you spend several hour a day thinking about this issue, or feel that others are aware of your issue and are making fun of you, or staring at you these feelings and behavior are characteristic of BDD.  You might even avoid social situations as a result of this.  If this description fits, you might consider seeing a psychotherapist to help you deal with these feelings.  This will help you gain insight into your reactions and make it less likely that you will seriously harm yourself with the work of well meaning surgeons who are likely to damage you with cosmetic surgery.

Surgery For My Asymmetrical Eyes?

+1

Everyone has asymmetric face or in fact asymmetric body. Some are more asymmetric than others but you would not find a perfectly symmetric face. So, it is not unusual to notice this later on in life. It is not possible to completely correct this. The problem is the forehead which is shorter on the smaller side of the face and brow is lower, the distance between brow and eyelid is shorter and so on. In order to improve this you will have to do endoscopic forehead lift with more lift on the shorter side.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon