Am I at Higher Risk for Forming Blood Clots After Surgery to Remove Vericose Vein 5 Years Ago?

I had a vericose vein removed using the stripping method over 5 years ago. I had 5 ultrasounds following and never had a problem with blood clots before during or after surgery. I am planning on having a mommy makeover in February 2012. Am I at a higher risk for forming blood clots because of the previous surgery?

Post Varicose Vein Treatment and Blood Clots

+1

Thank you for your question. Other aspects of your history will have to be determined such as age, general history  of existing health, new medicines, family history, any trauma, blood values compared with previous values, weight change, and other factors. Be sure to get medical clearance if there are any concerns with your surgeon.  I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Blood Clots and Varicose Veins

+1

Blood clots, the ones you have to worry about, those that can break free and go to your lungs, are formed in the deep veins. We call them Deep Vein Thrombosis.

That is different than most varicose veins. The ones that are most often removed are superficial, right under the skin. So removal of a varicose vein five years ago should have nothing to do with the current risk of a blood clot.

Blood clots and them breaking loose and going to the lungs, pulmonary embolism is most associated with general anesthesia. So any procedure that can be done under local, i.e., not being put to sleep, is much safer.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon