What Happens if I Dont Want Surgery for Abdomen Muscle Separation and Umbilical Hernia?

I currently have split abdomen muscles from the top if my groin to the bottom of my sternum. (1"wide max) with an ubilical hernia. I weigh 109lbs. I had our son 17months ago. I work out 5 times per week (human performance work out). I went through 42 weeks of pregnancy. 7lbs 9oz baby. I have so many questions but my maine concern is after surgery if one is infact needed, can i have children again? if so will i have to be induced due to scars etc. What happens if chose no for sugery?

Many Questions

+2

The questions you ask are important.

Any choice will involve some trade-offs: be sure you thoroughly understand those trade-offs and make your choice in close consultation with a well qualified surgeon with whom you communicate well.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis and umbilical hernia

+1

It is yoru choice to not have a hernia repaired but there is a risk taht it could incarcerate.  If you are having more children I would avoid a diastasis repair at this time.

Asymptomatic diastasis does not need repair.

+1

Asymptomatic diastasis recti do not need repair. In fact this is the reason why some insurance companies have refused to pay for this. However, the hernia is a different matter, If your hernia is fully reducible, once could state that observation is reasonable. If, however, you have an incarcerated hernia, I would advise you to seek repair.

Diastasis Repair is not mandatory

+1

Hi there-

There is no reason to believe that repair of your diastasis and/or umbilical hernia is necessary to prevent future health problems, and you should be able to become pregnant again and carry a pregnancy to term safely without doing so.

Especially if you plan on adding to your family, I would actually agree with you not having surgery at this time...

Once your family is complete, you can reconsider this and your options at that point.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Pregnancy after a tummy tuck

+1

There should be no problem getting pregnant after a tummy tuck though I would recommend waiting after you complete your family and you would not need a section. Unfortunately, our skin,muscles stretch to accomodate almost anything but they do not shrink down as we would like without plastic surgery.Watch my videos!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy in your future, delay tummy tuck

+1

The development of a diastasis or separation of the sit-up muscles is common with pregnancy and does not pose any risk if left unrepaired. Small umbilical hernias often can open up with pregnancy and resolve after as well. If you are planning to have a future pregnancy, it is best to avoid diastasis repair or a tummy tuck until your family is complete. You are safe to wait.

peterejohnsonmd

Dont Want Surgery for Abdomen Muscle Separation and Umbilical Hernia

+1

You issue is if you are planning more pregnancies and how soon. Why have a operation that will be effected by a future pregnancy makes no sense to me. I would refuse to preform the operation based upon the history of a possible planned pregnancy in the near future. PLEASE discuss in detail.