Which of the Following Surgeries Stresses the Body Most?

Breast reduction, vs. facelift, vs. armlift. All the same in terms of stress on the body or are some more stressful than others? Assume similar laxity, excess skin, tone, etc. in each area. Or is this an impossible question?

Face Lift

+1

A nearly impossible question, but they will all take about 2 weeks to recover, with the facelift possibly a bit longer if eyes, face, neck, and brow are also done.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Facelift - Which of the Following Surgeries Stresses the Body Most?

+1

Can't really answer that...it depends on what you mean by stress?  Operating time?  Blood loss?  Post-operative pain?  Greatest impact on your daily life during the recovery period?  I would probably answer those as Breast Reduction, Breast Reduction, Arms, Facelift...in the sense that you may not be able to be in public for a week or ten days.  But - honestly - this is a purely hypothetical discussion, better left to the sages...

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Surgery and stress on body

+1

Out of the three, I would say the breast reduction but I would also say the one that will cause most anesthesia time in the operating room. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

I guess I'm the only responder who agrees with your statement, "impossible question". There are some many differing factors to equate stress to each operation that only discussions with you can help determine which of the 3 options would cause you more stress. 

Stressed out

+1

the "stress" to the body comes from the "fluid shifts" that occur secondary to tissue trauma. so larger surface area operations like abdominolasty and liposuction tend to be more physiologically stressful.  other factors to consider are time under anesthesia, type of anesthesia, whether a body cavity has been entered, specific issues related to the pt (smoker v. non-smoker, eg.). in short there are some generalities that can be made but an individualized plan designed by your surgeon should address all these issues to ensure safety.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction, facelift, arm lift

+1
All of these procedures are very different. You really can not compare the recovery and stress on your body. You must figure out what body part is more important to you

David L. Abramson, MD

Breast Reduction, Facelift, and Arm Lift and relative stress to the body

+1

Although any surgical procedure can cause stress to the body both physically and/or emotionally, most plastic surgical procedures can be performed with relatively little blood loss,  do not require the use of paralytic agents, and can be performed on an outpatient basis (no overnight hospital stay).  With any of these procedures the relative stress is proportionate to the size of the incision and operative area and the length of time the procedure will take.  However, in general all of these procedures are considered to cause relatively little stress in the otherwise healthy patient.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

SURGICAL STRESS VERSUS MENTAL STRESS

+1

The bigger and longer the surgery the more stress but plastic cosmetic procedures are designed for minimal stress.    The cosmetic procedures do not invade body cavities.  Facelift causes more mental healing stress.  Large liposuction causes more physiological stress.   A surgery inside the body....abdomen, chest, brain...causes far more than any plastic surgery.  Well done plastic surgery causes little stress.  Poorly done plastic surgery causes huge stress.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Hard to answer

+1
Face lift, arm lift and breast lift would be the order from least to most involved procedure. You need to have personal examination and evaluation to find to best combination for you.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon