2 Surgeries or 1 for Replacing Breast Implants with Capsular Contracture?

I really want to know if 2 surgeries (removing the breast implants in the first surgery, then having a second surgery to replace them) is the best option for preventing the return of capsular contracture on my breast implants or if I should just have the capsulectomy and replace the implants all in one surgery.

Implant Exchange with Capsular Contracture

+1

In almost all cases, one surgery is sufficient to perform the breast capsulectomy and implant replacement.  Ensure that you are having an experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon performing the surgery.

Generally one surgery

+1

Generally one surgery is adequate for replacing breast implants for capsular contracture

Michael C. Fasching, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Capsulectomy and Implant Replacement

+1

Breast capsulectomy and implant replacement is easily and safely done at the same time. However, your surgeon needs to try and determine what caused the breast implant capsular contracture and how to best modify the procedure to reduce the risk of a recurrence. Frequently this will entail changing the plane of the implant, using a different type of implant, or washing the pocket out with antibiotics and using postoperative antibiotics. Make sure your surgeon has significant experience in this procedure.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

CapsulectomyI

+1

I almost always do this as one procedure and I'm as conservative as they come for a plastic surgeon.  unless there is some other factor which makes your situation unique, one stage should do it.  also, you are alwaysnatnriskmfor recurrent capsule regardless of the surgery being done as one or two stages.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

1 surgery better than 2

+1

At the time of implant removal your surgeon will determine if it is safe to go ahead and re-implant.  A contra indication would be the presence of infection.  This would necessitate a 2nd operation.  However, if there are no contra indications, surgeons routinely perfom capsulectomy and implant replacement at one time.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Prevention of Encapsulation?

+1

There is no evidence that I am  aware of that shows that doing the breast surgery you are contemplating  in 2 stages helps prevent recurrence of encapsulation.  My best advice would be to meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant success with patients in your situation.  I  is likely that the choice of plastic surgeon will be more important than the  choice of a single or two staged approach.

2 surgeries or 1 for replacing implants with capsular contracture

+1
i would definitely need to examine you to give advice on your question. It would depend on whether this is multiply recurrent contracture, how much tissue you have, implant size, skin quality, and a host of other considerations. However in the vast majority of cases only one surgery is required. Options include capsulotomy(making cuts in the capsule)/change of implants, capsulectomy/change of implants or partial capsulectomy with alloderm reconstruction of the pocket. If you are concerned about your surgeons recommendations you may seek a second opinion from a surgeon in your area

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Capsule contracture

+1

It realy depends on your capsule. If the breasts are hard but the capsule is thin and not inflamed, than , capsulotomy (relaxing incision of the capsule) and displacement massage after surgery is all that is neccessary. If however , the capsule is thick and inflamed , it means that you have a "biofilm" which will require total capsulectomy and replacement of the implants and displacement massage after surgery. That can be done in one setting. It is a long and tedious procedure. That is your best chance to prevent recurrence but there is no guarantee. Good luck.

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon