Do Many Surgeons Make a Vertical Incision Behind the Ear when Doing a Facelift?

I ask this as I have seen some really horrendous scars with the horizontal cut behind the ear and wonder if the vertical incision would be best as it wouldn't be as noticeable?

Best facelift incision.

+2

The best incision to make for a facelift procedure depends on the patients anatomy and goals. The horizontal occipital hairline incision(horizontal cut behind ear) allows for the most substantial pull on the neck portion of the facelift. Many patients prefer not to have this incission and are willing to compromise the neck result if need be. It is really a matter of priorities. If camouflaging the scars is most important than a sllight sacrifice in neck tightness is a reasonable trade off. In my practice more and more of my active patients want to wear pony tails and have short hairstyles and elect to have the abreviated (short) incision.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why Incisions behind the ear vary in different facelift techniques

+2

If traditional facelifts re-draping of the skin of the lower face and upper neck and then a blank fashion.  Therefore the redundant skin Hess be removed behind the near which is why there is a vertical incision behind the ear and then horizontally into the hairline or obliquely along the hairline.  Mini facelifts or modified facelifts such as the Lite Lift or MACS procedure  provides: less scaring (short scar technique) where in addition to a similar incision in front of the ear and temple, there is only a short incision that typically ends behind the earlobe in the crease. Additionally there is a  quicker recovery
no need for general anesthesia
a more natural look (pull is vertical in direction)
Not everyone requires a traditional facelift to provide beautiful, long lasting results. The Lite Lift is a minimally invasive option that addresses aging of the face and neck.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

+2

This vertical portion of the incision that's behind the ear is the part, of a traditional Face Lift, when a full Neck Lift is to be performed.  I now use a minimal incision type Face Lift that does not use that extensive scar behind the ear...rather combines a small incision under the chin for neck skin removal.  This Face Lift offers smaller incisions, surgery time of 90 minutes or less with less tissue dissection which means less bruisin/swelling and recovery time.  

Designing the incision behind the ear during facelift.

+2

The most common pattern for a facelift incision behind the ear is to pass vertically upwards slightly onto the back surface of the ear extending from the earlobe to the top of the ear.  At this point the incision can either end there or pass horizontally / diagonally backwards into the scalp for a variable distance.  The overall length of the facelift incision is determined by the amount of excess skin that needs to be redraped.  With mild aging a shorter incision that ends at the top of the vertical extension behind the ear will be sufficient.  With more advanced aging and larger amounts of sagging skin, a horizontal / diagonal incision passing into the scalp will be necessary in order to distribute the excess neck skin and avoid bunching or 'pleating'.  In these more severe cases, limiting the incision to the vertical crease behind the ear will leave a less than ideal result.   If the horizontal arm of the incision is placed high behind the ear and tension from the lift is supported primarily by the deep tissues and not the skin itself, then the scar should be acceptable.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scars behind ears in facelift surgery

+2

I agree that I have also seen a lot of obvious scars performed elsewhere. It is certainly possible to place the scars well hidden in the crease behind the ear and then to have them extend back toward the hair out of view. This is something that people could certainly look into while selecting their surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD

What is the best incision placement for a facelift?

+2

Great question. The scarring that occurs in a facelift procedure can be caused by several factors. Patients who smoke are at increased risk for scarring, diabetic patients with poorly controlled blood sugar are at increased risk, patients who use steroids chronically are also at increased risk for scarring complications.

From a surgeon perspective, it is critical to ensure that the strength and tension of the lift is placed on the underlying muscle and not on the skin. If the skin is closed properly, under no tension, then the incision should heal very well regardless of whether or not it is horizontal or vertical.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Behind the Ear Facelift Incision Design

+2

The incision behind the ear is what completely controls how much neck improvement is obtained in a facelift. The horizontal extension of the postauricular facelift incision is what helps lift the neck. While using only a vertical incision can be done, the amount of neck improvement obtained will be more limited. It may be appropriate facelift incisional design in the right patient who has a more modest neck problem.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Scars for facelifts

+2

will vary accordingly to how extensive a facelift is needed.  Full facelift will have scars that go into the hairline behind the ear.  Good surgeons will place this scar high so the ear covers it.  Others place it where they want and often, it is visible when standing next to that person.  Hairdressers know who do the best facelifts since they see the scars.  Ask yours for their opinion.

Curtis Wong, MD

Flawless Facelift

+2

When I do a Facelift, the goal is to rejuvenate the face by 10-15 years as flawlessly as possible.  This means making the incisions essentially invisible without any telltale signs of surgery.  The key is to hide the incisions in natural folds or creases, meticulous suturing with no distortion of the hairline.  The incision should be "ponytail" friendly behind the ear and maintain a perfectly normal side burn in front of the ear.  In order to create this, each patient is going to have incisions unique to their hairline so that the above goals are accomplished.  

Lorne M. Tarshis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Incisions

+2

There are surgeons who perform shorter scar facelifts.  You must be an appropriate candidate for that type of facelift.  Evaluation by a BC PS would give you that answer/

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS