What Do Surgeons Typically Do in Cases Like This and What is the Average Cost?

I am 2 weeks post-op and i am EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED with my size. I tried on the implants in my bra during the consultation and felt that I was even going too big with the size. I was not advised that it would look smaller once placed under my muscle. I payed thousands of dollars for this. I know most say to wait to see the results in a few months but they look so small now, I cant imagine that they'll fill up to look even close to what they looked like when I tried them on in the consultation.

+1

I think I did 500 breast augmentations last year,  and only 2 of those patients thought that they should have gone bigger.  One thought that she was too big.  No matter how precisely this is determined preoperatively, occasional issues will arise.   Trying sizers on in the office remains the standard.  Usually the surgeon will give you a discount with the revision. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Too Small Breast Augmentation Result

+1

Even when a lot of thought is put into implant size selection before surgery, the ideal breast size is not achieved in every augmentation procedure. Most of the unhappiness with breast implant size is that they are not big enough rather than too big. Much of this is because women are nervous about being too big and 'undersize' themselves going into surgery. It is not true that putting the implants under the muscle makes them look smaller however. Give yourself six months to adjust to the new size. In some cases how women feel weeks after surgery can change with more time.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Unhappy two weeks after surgery

+1

I understand your concerns and it is a difficult issue. There is really no point of figuring out why it happened but rather what to do about. Most surgeons would recommend waiting for thing to settle and heal. However, if you are absolutely positive about wanting a size change, and depending upon your anatomy, you really could go back now. But you don't want to make the same mistake twice so you better be sure about your communication with your surgeon. You should expect to pay for the facility and anesthesia fees but your surgeon probably won't charge you. Your surgeon might also be able to get a favor from the implant company to reduce your cost.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Unhappy with size.

+1

This is why I advise against using sizers before surgery. Putting an implant in a bra, over breast tissue and muscle does not give an accurate account of what the true result will be. With that being said, yes you could exchange out your implants for a larger size but I would suggest waiting at least three to six months.  You might want to discuss the revision policy with your surgeon. Best of luck to you!

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Two weeks postop is too early to consider a revision.

+1

It may be that she will ultimately be disappointed with the volume of your implants. It's a bit early to make that decision. Should a revision be required I don't charge a professional fee and most the time I can procure new implants it cost to the patient.