Nose Massaging After Rhinoplasty: Why Do Some Surgeons Recommend Whilst Others Don't?

Can anyone explain why some surgeons are very much for massaging or applying compression to the nose post rhinoplasty surgery whilst others aren't? Thank you.

Nasal massage after rhinoplasty

+3

Massage after rhinoplasty is used for several reasons, including reducing localized swelling and managing contour.  Surgeons may use different means of achieving this including taping, splinting or digital massage.  A given surgeon may recommend massage only for some patients depending on the type of surgery as well.  Of course, a patient should always follow the recommendation of their surgeon.

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Is nasal massage indicated after a rhinoplasty?

+2

Dear rhinoplasty patient,
I usually do not recommend massaging of nose after rhinoplasty, except in some rare cases when deep tissue scar is forming. I would recommend patients to start massaging that specific area no sooner than two months after surgery. For most nasal scars steroid injections are recommended. Massaging is most useful for area of the body with lymphatic drainage to reduce swelling. Good luck and good healing. Dr. Kevin Sadati

Kevin Sadati, DO

Massage after rhinoplasty

+2

Massage is beneficial to reduce swelling. However, overly aggressive massageing can potentially shift still healing portions of the nose. For example, the septum bones and tip graft may be shifted. Gentle massage is definitly recommended.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Nose massage

+2

Surgeons differ in their approach or recommendations regarding patients massaging their noses post op. The goal is to help reduce swelling. However unlike in areas where lymph nodes have been removed and actual fluid is backed up in the tissue and massage helps to mobilize it, there is little to no fluid in the swollen nasal tissue. Some patients find it helpful, other s not. It's an undecided issue and often comes down to surgeon preference. 

Although there are always exceptions I have generally found that having my patients manipulate their noses postop often leads to more problems then benefits.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Massaging after Rhinoplasty

+2

Excellent surgeons have different opinions about nasal masage to decrease swelling after rhinoplasty. I do nor use this techniqe because I don't want patients to inadvertenty move the underlying bone and cartilage or irritate the surgical field if not done properly.

Massage to the nose after Rhinoplasty

+2

Massage to surgical areas can be helpful in reducing swelling and softening scar tissue. In my practice I have not found massage to the nose to help, and in fact can aggravate swelling if done excessively.  Tape to the nose during sleep can manage swelling in the first weeks.  Message to the nose is not likely to hurt a cosmetic result.  Often regimens that doctors follow are those that were passed down from their mentors and professors.  Some regimens are not based in real clinical evidence but simply tradition.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

Nasal massage after Rhinoplasty

+2

I instruct each and every one of my Rhinoplasty patients on the proper techniques to massage their nose beginning 1 month after their Rhinoplasty.  Here's my reasoning to do so:

1. The main issue with Rhinioplasty is prolonged swelling after the procedure
  2. Swelling that remains in tissue, becomes scar tissue
  3. Scar tissue can and does blunt and change the surgically created shape, of the nose, from what the Rhinoplasty procedure was able to achieve.
  4. Removing the swelling, on a daily basis, does decrease the overall amount and time that the swelling is within the nasal tissues thereby decreasing steps 1-3 above.
  5. Giving patients the ability to massage their noses after Rhinoplasty empowers patients to control the asymmetric swelling that occurs after each and every Rhinoplasty as well as limiting the amount of scar tissue formation.

Nasal massage, after Rhinoplasty is a no brainer IMHO and I can't imagine why any Rhinoplasty surgeon wouldn't spend the time and effort to instruction a Rhinoplasty patient in proper nasal massage techniques so the patient achieves the very best possible result from their Rhinoplasty.