Why Do Some Surgeons Say No Push Up Bra's for 6 Months, but Mine Says You Can Wear What You Want After 6 Weeks?

I am about 5 weeks post op. 325 cc in right breast and 350 in the left. I wanted them to be larger. Now, I feel like I am in the same boat again - wanting to wear double push up bras. But, here is my question: I want to know why my other friends had sub pectoral breast augmentation from another PS and they were not allowed to wear push ups or underwire for 6 months. My PS's office staff had told me that I was allowed after 6 weeks! Why such difference? Both PS are members of ASPS and ASAPS.

Push Up Bra After Surgery

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. The question  regarding the use of bras is surprisingly common on this website;  there is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. Therefore, best to check with your plastic surgeon.   For example, in my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place.  This surgical bra,  although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast implants have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.   Best wishes; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Underwire bra after breast augmentation

+1
In general, I recommend wearing underwire bras only until after the first 2 months of surgery If you find that they're uncomfortable, then you should avoid wearing them because your body is telling you that it hurts. The underwire may be improperly shaped. If you want to wear underwire bras, try having a custom bra fitting to see if you can find something that's more comfortable. You can also wear wireless bras, as many types provide plenty of support.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Push up bra after breast augmentation surgery

+1

Push up bras, etc. may move the position of the implant during the early recovery period and thus cause implant malposition or breast asymmetry/deformity. In general, 6 weeks following surgery, the implant is secured in its position following the formation of the capsule around your implant. I allow my patients to start sport activities and wear undergarment wear of their choice after 6 weeks. If you want to play it safe, maybe consider 3 months of avoiding any external compression to your implants.

Arian Mowlavi, MD
Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Push up bra after breast augmentation

+1

Most plastic surgeons recommend avoiding push up bras (underwire bras) for a period of time after breast augmentation. 

• Underwires are generally not the same diameter and shape as the augmented breast and can feel uncomfortable
  • For the first 3 - 6 weeks, the underwire bra could potentially damage an inframammary incision
  • For the first 6+ weeks, while the implant pocket is maturing, it is important that the implants "drop" into the pockets

My own opinion is that there is some value to avoiding underwire for 6 weeks if the implant has settled into the pocket.  I would avoid underwires a little longer if one or both have not.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

The right time for a push-up bra after breast augmentation

+1

After breast implants you will be able to wear any bra you wish once the imlant and breast skin envelope meld together and form as one. The 'dropping' referred to after implants is the relaxaation in the lower skin envelope of the breast to accomodate the iimplant. For those who have a tighter breast skin or fold the conforming may talke longer than the six to eight weeks which we us as our guidline in practice. Six months is quite long though may be right for some. If your breast is soft and comfortable at six weeks wear what you want.

peterejohnsonmd

Depends on the surgeon

+1
The use of post operative bra should Not change the final result. The wraping and bondage after breast augmentation is not needed if implant pocket is percise.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Push up bras after breast augmentation: timing likely not critical

+1

Dear Cleveland7352,

I allow my patients to wear a push up bra after six weeks. The reason has to do with the underwire that is present with these bras. Most of my patients have breast augmentation via the infra mammary fold incision. During the healing process, I do not want the hard underwire possibly traumatizing the fresh incision. At six weeks the scar is fairly solid, so that is when underwire bras are permitted.

The other reason for not wearing a push up bra early in the healing stages is to allow for the implants to drop. I ask my patients not to wear any bra during the first 3 weeks to allow gravity to help the breast implants drop. 

I agree, there is no real science to these time lines, so there is a significant variation of practice among surgeons. In the end I don't believe the timing as to when you are allowed to wear a push up bra is critical to your final outcome. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC

Lawrence Tong, MD

When is the right time to start wearing a push-up bra after a breast augmentation?

+1

There is really no right or wrong answer regarding when is the appropriate time to start wearing a push-up bra. As a result, you will get a multitude of different answers from different plastic surgeons. No definitive scientific has been performed to determine a more precise answer to his.

To add more diversity in answers, my patients don't even have to wait 6 weeks to wear a push-up bra - and this practice has not presented a problem.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

When can I wear push up bra?

+1

The more surgeons that you speak to, the more you will realise that this is not a precise science.  It is all about opinions.   This is why you are best to try to find a surgeon that you trust and go with his or her opinions and advice.

I say no underwire for 6 weeks for what its worth.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Different post-op instructions

+1

Every surgoen is s bit different regarding their routines whether for surgery, pre or post-op care, etc..  It is like two different chefs making the chicken soup. They may come out as chicken soup but they may taste a bit differently in the end,  but yet they are both chicken soup.