Do More Surgeons Perform Lip Reduction Surgery?

ive been looking for more surgeons in the Los Angeles area that put up 'lip reduction' procedures on their websites, but I haven't found many (only 1 or 2). I'm wondering if more surgeons actually do perform it, maybe they just don't put it on their website? Any advice/recommendations?

Lip redution

+1
Lip reduction procedures are done by many plastic surgeons.  It may not be specifically advertised on websites (it is not on mine).  You might want to see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the procedure and expectations, and risks.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

+1
Lip reduction is a procedure that reduces the size of the lips, which can be the upper, lower or both lips. There are some considerations with lip surgery:
  • Lip surgery is as much about art and aesthetics in addition to surgical technique. There are no absolute measurements of the lips, the lips should be in balance with a person’s facial characteristics including their nose, chin and jaw line.
  • Ethnicity is an important fact to consider so that any reduction is in balance with a person’s ethnicity and facial features.
  • Concealing scars with lip surgery so that they are hidden after surgery.
The risks of lip surgery include a period of healing when the lips are enlarged secondary to swelling, usually this is only a few weeks and medications can be used to speed up resolution of swelling. There is artistry in lip reduction in that the lips need to be reduced in balance with the other facial characteristics.

Julian De Silva, MD
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Reduction in Los Angeles

+1

Lip reduction can reduce the size of the bulging mucosa in some people, whereas a modified lip lift reduction can correct a long upper lip.  Both procedures provide long term results. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Lip Reduction in the San Francisco Bay Area

+1

Thanks for your question. Though lip reduction is not as commonly advertised as other procedures (such as facelift, rhinoplasty, eyelid surgery), many fellowship-trained surgeons can perform the procedure. However, there are not that many plastic surgeons who routinely do lip surgery (lip reduction, lip augmentation, lip lift, etc.), and choosing a surgeon with a particular interest in these procedures will help you get the best outcome possible.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip reduction can be done safe and you can get great results

+1

Knowledge of aesthetics is vitally important to great results. I spent time some in los angeles and seen the results and were worried at the time I was there. So I spent time discovering a theory on beauty to find out how to do lip augmentation.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Reduction

+1

Lip Reduction is performed to reduce the overall size of the upper and/or lower lip. There are different ways to perform this in the sense of different kinds of incisions.  This will depend on what the goal of the procedure is.

Lip reduction is often performed in patients that have lips that they feel are too big naturally, and/or I also perform this procedure for patients who have had previous silicone injections with overdone lips.  As in any situation, you must feel comfortable with your surgeon, and be sure to see before and after photos.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Reduction

+1

Lip reduction is a procedure which when successfully performed will accomplish the following goals:

• Preserve ethnicity, preserve balance-  Lips need to be reduced proportionally to the face and a person's facial features.  
  • Conceal scars-  Lip reduction scar placement is critical
  • Reduce the right parts-  Not all lips need the same parts reduced

Lip reduction is typically done in the office setting comfortably with local anesthesia.  Most patients are able to resume normal activities within a few days after the procedure.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Any well-trained plastic surgeon does lip reduction surgery.

+1

Like scar revisions, mole removals, and multitudes of "common" plastic surgical procedures, lip reduction is a straightforward procedure that can yield great results with minimal (hidden) scarring in any appropriate patient. Look for a board-certified (American Board of Plastic Surgery) plastic surgeon and call their office. The receptionist will be able to tell you if the doctor accepts lip reduction patients (and I suspect most do).

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

I perform lip reductions almost every week

+1

Fortunately, you have found someone who does this almost every week with 95% of my patients flying in for the procedure.  Like anything in plastic surgery, you should find someone who specializes in the procedure to get optimal results.  I not only perform a ton of lip reductions but I love doing them and I believe have developed a really good technique for minimal scarring and optimal results.

best,

sam lam, m.d.

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Reduction

+1

You are correct, although most plastic surgeons are well trained in reconstructive surgery and have performed lip reduction, we do not post them routinely.  I've done 5 or 6 elective lip reductions in my 18 years of practice, but thousands of augmentations, lip repairs, lip lifts, etc.  The principles of lip reduction, and the procedure itself, are straightforward for the trained and experienced plastic surgeon.  Most patients are swollen at their post operative check up visits, and this swelling takes weeks to months for complete resolution.  This swelling should be completely gone before a post operative photo is taken, and most plastic surgeons do not recall patients at six months to a year for photographs.

Steve Laverson, MD