Do Surgeons Still Offer Duodenal Switch?

I have heard positive reviews of the duodenal switch but my surgeon doesn't do them. Is this still offered or are there better techniques now?

Duodenal Switch? Still offered?

Yes, duodenal switch  (DS) is still offered and can be a great operation in the properly selected patient. DS  offers the patient the greatest amount of weight loss and the best chance to be "normal" BMI. It carries a slightly higher potential risk than the bypass but it still a safe operation in experienced hands. The DS is best for putting diabetes in remission (even better than gastric bypass) and excellent for trreating pt s with very high cholesterol. It s also the most resistant to weight regain as compared to bypass. On the other hand some pt s complain of loose stools specially with fatty foods and vitamin deficiency as this can be an issue. Talk with a surgeon that offers all the operations so you can obtain usually the most unbiased opinion.