What to Do when Surgeons Give Different Opinions About Breast Lift?

My wife, 37 wants a breast lift & possibly a reduction. Goal of her surgery would to help reduce shoulder/neck pain that her sagging breast causes. Desire is a natural look w/ comfort. Cup size 40D. Sternal notch to nipple: 13.5" Nipple to bottom of crease: 4". 1st Surgeon: Lift w/ lollipop incision with 250cc implant below muscle 2nd Surgeon: Lift with Anchor incision, no implant If implant requested, placed above the muscle. What to do?

Breast Lifting and Different Opinions?

+1

It is not unusual for patients to receive different pieces of advice from different consultants.  This can be confusing and necessitate additional consultations before the patient feels comfortable with a “consensus” opinion. Generally, if you do your due diligence carefully and choose a plastic surgeon who has significant experience and can show you lots of examples of the types of results that you are looking for,  you will be more comfortable with the plastic surgeons recommendations.

Ultimately, it comes down to clear communication between patient and surgeon.  The plastic surgeon should be able to demonstrate significant experience achieving similar patients' goals.

Differing plastic surgeon's recommendations for breast lift/ reduction

+1

Neither of these solutions would accomplish relief of the shoulder/neck pain that you describe. Howver, given your description of your wife's complaints, I would concur wiht the second surgeon's recommendations.

Vertical (lollipop scar) breast lift is best by far.

+1

Hi.

Find third surgeon!  The correct answer for the goals and anatomy that you describe is a vertical breast lift (Lejour technique) with lollipop scars and no breast implants.  This is an internal lift that does not rely on pulling the skin, and gives good long term shape.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

If your goal is to smaller breast,no implant should be needed

+1

The are many ways to achieve a good result. When the patient's desire is to get smaller and lifted breast, then there is no need for  implants. You need to fine a surgeon that listens to your wife concerns and also is board certified in plastic surgery. There many choices in Atlanta and I would suggest Dr.Nahai.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift options

+1

There are many ways to skin a cat.  Each surgeon like a chef will make their breast/soup differently.

Breast lift options

+1

There are many outstanding breast surgeons in Atlanta.  Probably more there than in any other city because so much was done at Emory to develop the best procedures for breast lifting, reduction and augmentation.  Check the credentials of the doctors whom you have seen and look carefully at their photos - who's results do you like better?

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast lift opinions

+1

There seems to be a lack of agreement as to what the end result should be. This should predominantly be determined by the patient with possible collaboration from the surgeon if certain elements such as shape, size, or form are in conflict. One test is to ask if the size if acceptable in a bra she wants to wear. If it is, then an implant is probably not necessary. A surgeon can try to tape the breast in a mock-up of a breast lift to see if that is satisfactory or if a reduction or implant is required. It is rare for me to need to do an anchor incision for a ilft or reduction.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Selecting among differing opinions

+1

Sometimes different opinions stem from different presentations. Each time you see someone, you have learned more about what you desire after thinking about the questions asked previously. I base my answer purely on what you presented and my biases. What answers you previously received were also based on what you presented and the particular surgeon’s biases. You state that part of the problem is “shoulder/neck pain,” and that she is seeking reduction. If this is so, then she absolutely does not need an implant.

An implant makes the breast larger and adds weight. Doing just a lift will also not really reduce the shoulder/neck pain, though it may help a little by distributing the weight better. The only way to reduce the discomfort is to reduce the weight of the breast by removing tissue, a reduction. Although the nipple is only a short distance from the inframammary crease, it needs to be elevated over 5 in. The latter complicates things and may make an anchor incision necessary, though the former indicates the reasonableness of a lollipop. In the end, it boils down to who can give you what you want, who listens to you, and with whom you feel comfortable.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Different opinions...

+1

If your stated goal is to "help reduce shoulder/neck pain", adding an implant will increase the weight of your breasts which is contradictory to your goal.  However,  it will help keep more superior breast volume, but at a price of heavier breasts.  A breast lift is the same as a reduction, without the removal of any breast gland.  The incisions can vary, but the result is the same.  As all incisions fade with time, I would advise you to think more reduction than lift/augmentation.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon