If a Surgeon Says 'Your Nose Tip Was Very Difficult to Do During Surgery' Does This Mean He Couldn't Do It?

The tip of my nose looks the same as before and he said that my tip was difficult when I went for a check up yesterday - 4 weeks after the operation. Should I be worried?

Difficult rhinoplasty

+1

It is nearly impossible to answer this question, without being the surgeon who operated on you. I would approach your surgeon with this very question.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Results?

+1

Is it is always best to ask specific questions/concerns of the surgeon who has done your procedure. There may be specific reasons he mentioned that the “tip was difficult”. Only his answer will potentially give you true reassurance.

Nasal surgery

+1

That is a tough question to answer without having been the surgeon operating on you.  You should really ask him specifically what he meant by that.

Difficult tip during rhinoplasty

+1

It's hard to know what your surgeon meant by his comment. It may relate to the quality of your cartilage, overlying skin thickness, prior scarring, etc. You may want to ask him directly to get a better sense of things.

At 4 weeks from surgery the tip may not necessarily look much different yet depending on how much swelling you have and how much change was made.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

+1

No, not necessarily but the only person that can truly answer this question is your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  Ask for some clarification on the subject.  

Nose Tip 4 Weeks after Surgery

+1

You may want to ask your surgeon what he meant rather than try to get other opinions on what he could have meant. Keep in mind that after 4 weeks, the tip may still be swollen and you may not see much of a difference. Time will help.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Nasal Surgery Difficult

+1

Four weeks after surgery is not very long especially when considering the tip. There is a possibility that your surgeon encountered something unexpected that made the surgery challenging, but only they will be able to tell you for sure. Unfortunately, time is the only thing that will give you a definitive answer, but if you don't see nay change it is unlikely to be dramatically different from what you currently see - just more refined and detailed with time.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Tip Too Difficult

+1

Hi,

Sounds kinda ominous. He/she should be more specific, was it a revision rhinoplasty, was there scar tissue, was it a bubous tip?? What did he/she actually do?? There are many unanswered questions. Try to get a better idea about what he/she meant by that.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Difficult Rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to comment on the results of a specific patient without knowing what was done, and having before and after pictures to review, but there are factors that make a rhinoplasty difficult. These include, but are not limited to: 

• Previous rhinoplasty
  • Previous trauma 
  • History of inflammation or infection
  • History of cleft lip or cleft lip and palate
  • History of hemangioma to the nose

Thick oily skin can also mask the early results from a rhinoplasty. You may need to give your nose up to a year after surgery before you may see your final results. 

Discuss any concerns you have about your result with your surgeon. 

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon