Unsteady Hands Cause for Concern in a Surgeon?

Hi, I am considering getting a revision rhinoplasty with the same doctor that did the initial procedure. He is one of the most experienced doctors in the city. I have discussed with him the EXACT changes that I would like to see be made (down to the anatomical names) and he has agreed with them.

I am unsure now if he is the best person to do it, as on my consult it looks like he recently had a stroke, and his hands were not steady. Is this cause for concern? I obviously don't want to make the wrong choice.Thx

Unsteady hands?

+2

"It looks like he recently had a stroke."  It is unlikely that the unsteady hands have anything to do with a stroke. If you are unsure about your surgeon get another opinion and talk with the first surgeon again. Your initial statement about going over the procedure to the last exact detail is also of concern, the surgery will only work if the patient has reasonable expectations.

Arlington Plastic Surgeon

It is very important that you be comfortable with your surgeon!

+1

Hi there-

Whether it is because his hands shake, they are deformed with arthritis, you don't like his personality, or any other reason, if you are at all uncomfortable with your surgeon's ability to provide a safe, pleasant experience and pleasing outcome for you, you should not proceed.

At the very least you should have a conversation about this. 

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Confidence in your surgeon

+1

Whether the steadiness of his hands is or is not a factor in his accomplishing your surgery is only half the issue. Of course it certainly can be a handicap but some surgeons have intention tremors but look steady and others have tremors but then are perfectly steady when operating. The other half is that you have reservations. Whether or not your concerns are unfounded, you should have them addressed by your surgeon. Be frank and ask if he has had anything that affects his ability to perform the procedure.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Concern about Unsteady Hands in Your Surgeon

+1

I always recommend being upfront with a prospective surgeon, especially an individual you know. Put your mind at rest. His/her response will be very informative.

Choosing a surgeon

+1

You have to be comfortable and confident with the surgeon to operate on you.

We do not know the condition of your doctor, If he/she felt that they cannot perform surgery then probably he/she would have stopped.

Rhinoplasty doctor concerns

+1

I see the reason for your concern. From this side we cannot honestly say stay with that doctor or go find another surgeon. Why not ask the surgeon to alleviate your concerns and then base your decision on the doctor's response and reaction are? Is this a minor revision or a major revision? Whatever happens the final decision should be yours.

Aaron Stone, MD