How to Shave Down a Dorsal Hump?

I have a small dorsal bump.Since I have had a nasal fracture,it has become more prominent.I would now like to have it removed.However,I greatly fear that my surgeon will shave too much bone off my bridge.I really love all about my nose,even the slope of the bridge at most angles.However,at one point,the bump appears more "pointy".I would like to have this removed,but my I constantly fear getting bridge that has been filed down too much.What do you think and what should I tell my surgeon?

Filing down small dorsal hump

+1

The bump or hump on the nose is composed of cartilage and bone. Very large humps are removed with osteotome and mallet, while small humps are filed down. Open communication between you and your rhinoplasty surgeon is very important. Make sure that the surgeon has performed thousands of rhinoplasties so as to minimize the complications.

Communicate Your Concerns About Rhinoplasty to Your Surgeon

+1

I think what your saying here is what you should tell your doctor. It is always preferrable to know a patient's concerns prior to surgery. Your doctor will be conservative about your hump reduction as per your request. Computer imaging is a really important tool for rhinoplasty and will improve communication considerably. You can find out more about computer imaging by following the link below.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shaving Dorsal Hump

+1

During consultation(s), tell the surgeon exactly what you told us. Look at pictures of results in noses similar to yours to be sure that he/she shares your aesthetic tastes.

Dorsal hump reduction for rhinoplasty should be done with precision

+1

A dorsal hump reduction is a very common component to rhinoplasty surgery (nose job). It involves shaving the bone and cartilage components of the hump down in an incremental fashion checking after each round of shaving to check for height and smoothness. It can be done accurately by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and should be discussed pre-operatively with your surgeon. I hope this helps and good luck.

Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Not ready for Rhinoplasty

+1

By the description presented, I would advise several consultations to assess your potential as a  candidate for Rhinoplasty.  Not all patients are good candidates for cosmetic surgery, as the final results cannot be predicted to the millimeter. It sounds as though you are obsessing over a relatively common and straight forward procedure. No surgeon can guarantee your outcome, but more importantly, your acceptance and psychological well-being. You may want to consider speaking with a mental health professional prior to surgery.

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Preoperative computer aided imaging.

+1

This is good case where computer aided preoperative image modification will be helpful.during your consultation.  You and your surgeon will have a very close understanding of your expectations and whether it could be accomplished by surgery. A picture is worth thousand words.

Zain Kadri, MD

shave down too much of my dorsal bump

+1

With your pre operative issue of fear of outcome, you need to discuss in detail with your chosen surgeon this dorsal hump issue. When satisfied it is still a leap of faith. Good Luck

Reducing the dorsal hump in rhinoplasty

+1

It is of paramount importance that you communicate with your plastic surgeon exactly what you would like him/her to achieve as well as what you wish to avoid when undergoing rhinoplasty. Choose a surgeon whom you trust and with whom you feel comfortable. A surgeon who is experienced in correcting the type of problem you have may be preferable.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Subtle Rhinoplasty Specialist

+1

Hi,

Tell your surgeon exactly what you have told us here online.  Choose your surgeon most carefully, and by all means make sure that he/she completely understands your rhinoplasty goals and fears.  Make sure that you trust your surgeon.  Look at their rhinoplasty photos to make sure that their "standard" rhinoplasty is not too "ski-sloped"!  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Conservative Rhinoplasty

+1

"I have a small dorsal bump.Since I have had a nasal fracture,it has become more prominent.I would now like to have it removed.However,I greatly fear that my surgeon will shave too much bone off my bridge.I really love all about my nose,even the slope of the bridge at most angles.However,at one point,the bump appears more "pointy".I would like to have this removed,but my I constantly fear getting bridge that has been filed down too much.What do you think and what should I tell my surgeon?"

As far as what to tell your surgeon, I thought you question was very articulate.

Find a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons in Nashville and ask him the EXACT question you asked us.