Why Would a Surgeon Make a Different Shaped Cut on One Eye During Blepharoplasty?

I had upper lid 6 weeks ago. The surgeon made an uneven cut. One cut was much more arched and as a consequence, has made one eye look smaller. Why would they do that as now one eye is different?

Incisions for blepharoplasty

+1

It is hard to say what the reason is for the different incisions without an exam.  Each eye is a bit different and therefore they may require a different incision.

Different shaped incisions made during blepharoplasty

+1

It's difficult to answer your question without seeing pictures and/or examining you.  Sometimes, the eyes are not symmetric before surgery, so the incisions may be slightly different to compensate for this.  I would say in general, if the eyes were symmetric before surgery, then the incisions should be fairly similar in most cases.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Assymetry

+1

Hi Lydia,

The face/body is assymetrical.  With the patients' consent, sometimes I design an assymetric incision to improve the symmetry.  From your description, this may not be the case.

At 6 weeks, there is still a fair amount of scar maturation to undergo.  I would recommend that you voice and show your concerns to your surgeon in a non confrontational manner.  The surgeon, hopefully, can guide you to a result that you and the surgeon had discussed preoperatively.

I wish you the best outcome possible.

S. Daniel Huang, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Different blepharoplasty incisions necessary if there is asymmetry.

+1

Hi.

I think I answered one of your questions already.  I don't know why there are different incisions.  Often that difference becomes much less noticeable with time.  You need to wait several months, and get other opinions.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Uneven eyelid lift

+1

Let the incision totally heal over the next 3-6 months. If the incision is still uneven, your plastic surgeon can revise this with a simple in office procedure. It can be difficult to make all eyelid incisions perfectly symmetric due to the nature of the procedure. However, revision surgery can generally make the difference less noticeable.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon