Can Another Surgeon Look at my Scars from Ear Otoplasty?

Hi,it's been 2 months after my ear surgery, my surgeon lives far away and on one of the ear the scar is white and raised on the bottom part it's soft and feels like there's liquid in it(the scar) and on the top part it's very hard. I haven't tried silicon sheeting yet. I was thinking of finding a plastic surgeon close by to look at my scars and figure out what's going on, can the new surgeon figure out why the scars like that? Can he tell what went wrong and fix it? Thank you for your help.

Liquid filled ear scar at 2 months does not sound normal

+1

Yes, you should probably see a plastic surgeon because this does not sound typical. ATt 2 months it is more likely that your scars should feel hard and not necessarily liquid filled.

Concerns about young scar from otoplasty

+1

Your ear scars are quite young, but it is important to recognize signs of abnormal scarring so the scars can be treated properly.  If you can get some good photos of your scars, you might consider emailing them to your plastic surgeon.  If you were my patient, I would want to know what's going on.  Your surgeon might be able to suggest some treatment, or even reassure you that everything looks okay.  Or she might suggest that you seek a second opinion--your surgeon may even be able to recommend someone for you to see closer to your home.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Second opinion for managing ugly ear scar

+1

As Plastic surgeons we work hard to get the best possible results for each one of our patients. I do not think any surgeon would be offended if a patient who lived far away sought a second opinion on a scar which was not healing well. even though the scar is in its early healing stage, I would encourage you to do so - another experienced surgeon may devise a way to settle this scar down.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Second Opinion

+1

Although it is never inappropriate to get a second opinion on a scar, it is important to understand that 2 months after your procedure, you aren't completely healed. In order to save time and money, call your Surgeon and raise your concerns. Your Surgeon should be able to reassure your or, if appropriate ask you to see another Surgeon in your area. It is sometimes appropriate to inject kenalog (a form of steroid) into the scar to soften it and decrease inflammation.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty Scars

+1

Certainly,  another surgeon should be able to look at your scars and give you a god idea if anything is wrong or if this is the normal healing process.  This is a surgery that does not have a wide variety of approaches, so it is pretty easy to know what went on in the surgery and what the scar is doing.  The hardest thing is finding a surgeon in your area that is well qualified.  The best thing to do is go the the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgery ( plasticsurgery.org) and search by your zip code.  This way you know you are dealing with a board certified plastic surgeon.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon