Can a Surgeon Refuse BR Surgery if I Lose Weight off my Breasts?

I'm 20 yrs old, 5'2 and live in Canada, surgery is covered by provincial healthcare when I went for my consult I was 120lbs with a 28inch ribcage and 39inch bust. I've decided to lose some weight before the surgery and I am currently 110lbs (My goal is 100-105lbs) and my breast are now at 36inches. I still fit into the same bras they are just more saggy now I am just worried that if I make it to my goal weight and end up losing more inches around my bust will my surgeon refuse to do the surgery?

Any plastic surgeon can refuse to perform a breast reduction.

+1

If your plastic surgeon chooses not to perform a breast reduction and you certainly can get a second opinion. It sounds as though the choice to operate or not may be based upon getting paid for the procedure. Why don't you talk as matter-of-factly with your surgeon as you have in this posting?

Refusing breast reduction following weight loss...

+1

I am unaware of policies in Canada but in the States, insurance companies require minimum weight excisions based on your height and weight (Schnur scale).  As long as your resection exceeds that (assuming authorization was obtained), it is covered.  I hope its the same up North.  But congratulations on your weight loss... and find a lifestyle that allows you to maintain it.

Curtis Wong, MD

A surgeon refusing to do surgery?

+1

Hi girly21.  That is not a question that arises here in the United States!   Is there any way to ask your surgeon that question?   I don't know a lot about medicine in Canada, but I presume that a surgeon would not punish you for losing weight.  If you are full-figured and have symptoms of neck, back and shoulder pain etc. I am sure your surgeon will treat you.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Can a Surgeon Refuse Breast Reduction Surgery if I Lose Weight off my Breasts?

+1

Thank you for the question. You are  certainly doing the right thing by achieving a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with breast surgery. Your concern however is understandable; as you drop weight, your breasts may change in size also.  If, after the weight loss, your breasts are ptotic (sag)  but not “heavy” enough to  justify breast reduction surgery, the procedure ( essentially a breast lift) may not be covered through your healthcare system.

This may be one of the situations where time alone will tell;  online consultants will not be of much predictive help to you.

Refusing to Perform Breast Reduction

+1

The short answer is: it depends. If you lose so much weight in your breasts that there is not enough to remove safely, then your surgeon should refuse. However, from what you say it sounds like although you are losing volume, your skin is not shrinking. It may be that what you will need is not a reduction but a lift--which may or may not be covered by your insurance. But if you go ahead with surgery and then lose the weight, you may end up with breasts that are not what you want. So it is definitely best to be at your ideal weight before surgery. Your surgeon will be able to help you determine what surgery is best for you. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon