Post-op Rhinoplasty: Surgeon Recommended Waiting 1 Year Before Exercising - Why?

I had rhinoplasty in Tehran 30 days ago, and the surgeon has told me and all his previous patients (i checked with around 20) that exercise should not be resumed for at least 1 year post surgery. This contradicts the advice I have read on this site. Could someone tell me why this is recommended as it seems to be the common thing in Iran? What would happen if I start exercising (such as running and aerobic exercise) before 1 year?

Seems Long

+1
I generally recommend to my patients that they refrain from exercising for 6 weeks after surgery. Exercising can contribute to swelling, which will slow down your rate of recovery. One year seems quite long, and only your surgeon can answer your question.

Waiting 1 Year Before Exercising After Rhinoplasty?

+1

While every surgeon has a personal preference, waiting one year is outside the normal range for most surgeons. Everything I know about the physiology of healing tells me that this length of time does not make sense. You should ask your surgeon for a specific reason.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after Rhinoplasty

+1

In general, I instruct my patients to avoid strenuous activity for 3 weeks and activities with a risk of nasal trauma for 6 weeks after rhinoplasty. I cannot answer your question - ask your surgeon.

Resuming Exercise After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Confused in Tehran,

It sounds as if your rhinoplasty surgeon is also counting on making a little more Iranian cash from liposuction of the belly and tummy tuck procedures on the patients that he has instructed not to exercise for a year after rhinoplasty....really???

After 30 days, you and the other 20 patients of your sedentary rhinoplasty physician can meet me at the gym tomorrow morning for a full workout.  My patients resume full physical activity after 3 weeks. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Exercise and Rhinoplasty

+1

After rhinoplasty, i recommend avoiding strenuous activity for 2 weeks.  Depending on the type of rhinoplasty, I also instruct patients to avoid contact sports and rubbing their nose for 8 to 12 weeks after surgery. 

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Exercise and rhinoplasty

+1

Now every doctor is a bit different, but I usually allow patients to go back to light exercise by about 3-4 weeks and then more involved exercise with heavy lifting in about 6-8 weeks.

How long to wait to exercise after rhinoplasty

+1

While each surgeon may have their own recommendations, I've found that most recommend refraining from exercise from 2-4 weeks after rhinoplasty surgery.

If any osteotomies (controlled bone fractures) were done, then you'd want to avoid contact sports/activities that may cause even mild trauma to the nose for 6 weeks (until that time it's much easier than normal to re-shift the nasal bones).

So 1 year does seem a bit excessive to me. I imagine that one benefit of this regimen would be that patients have much less swelling than they would otherwise.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty - no exercise

+1

You should be able to resume gentle cardio at 4 wk after surgery.  By 6 wk, your nasal bones are pretty much healed so exercise shouldn't be a problem.  I'd avoid any contact sports where you may get your nose bumped.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Most surgeons recommend returning to exercise 2-4 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Well, indeed Rhinoplasty surgery is both an art and a science and there are many different techniques, with different pre and post-operative routines.  Most surgeons agree that a patients regular routine can be resumed 2-4 weeks after surgery.  In my practice, I recommend no strenuous exercise for 2 weeks, although walking or elliptical machine work is allowed after a week.  The main concern for me during this time is post operative bleeding or injury to the incision.  After two weeks, bleeding or incision injury are no longer a big concern.

Feel free to click on the link below and check out the before and after photos of my patients who underwent this surgery. 

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after rhinoplasty

+1

Unless there is something unique about your procedure, generally for a rhinoplasty I will allow patients to begin to ease back into activity at 4 weeks and return to non restricted activity at 6 weeks. The nasal bones should be at full strength at 6 weeks.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon