Should my Surgeon Perform a Revision Rhinoplasty Due to Being Disproportionate and should it be done for free?

I am not happy with my rhinoplasty and I believe that my surgeon did not give me what we spoke about. My nostrils are uneven because the left one still looks swollen and has no definition, where the right nostril turned out fine and fell into it proper position. So they are disproportioned. And I feel that he should perform a quick revision surgery and fix these minor issues for free. Is this something that the doctor should do because he messed up and there is noticable scar tissue too. HELP!

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

This is something you need to speak directly with your surgeon about, as he/she knows the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. Photos would really be necessary to provide you with advice. Swelling will also affect the way your nose appears. The final result of a rhinoplasty is not evident for 18-24 months following surgery. 70% of the swelling will be resolved after the first 3 months, and the remainder of the swelling will go down over time. Thank you, and I hope this helps.

Dr. Nassif

Asymmetric nostrils after rhinoplasty

+1

That's too bad that your not happy with your results thus far. It's not clear how long ago your surgery was as there can be asymmetric swelling after surgery that can take months to improve.

Nostril asymmetry can be more complicated to fix than one thinks. I would suggest discussing your concerns with your surgeon in a constructive manner to see what the best plan of action is.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Revision surgery

+1

With all rhinoplasty there is healing and scar formation which is a biologic event and outside the control of you or your surgeon. You are wrong to assume that any further surgery will be a quick easy thing and not risk further asymmetry. You are also wrong to assume that your doctor messed up especially when you acknowledge that one side healed well and meets your expectations and that it was not just your healing that caused the assymetry. If the problem is minor as you say you should think hard about doing anything further. If you want to do more be aware of the risks. Further surgery often incurs additonal costs.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty Nostrils Uneven

+1

Islandgirl. Sorry to hear you are disappointed with your results. I agree with Dr Naficy that nasal asymmetry can be very difficult to correct, though not impossible. How long has it been since your surgery? The nose will undergo many changes as you heal from surgery for months and even years. Sometimes watchful waiting can be your best course of action. Have a sincere discussion with your surgeon and explain what you like and do not like about your nose. Most surgeons are very interested in their patients' happiness and will do their best to give them a result they are pleased with. If this proves unproductive, seek out a surgeon with extensive training and experience in rhinoplasty surgery. 

Best wishes

Dr S

Travis L. Shaw, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril asymmetry

+1

Correction of nasal asymmetry is one of the most difficult challenges in rhinoplasty - correcting your asymmetric nostrils may be more difficult that you may imagine

Sam Naficy, MD