What Does a Surgeon Mean when Saying Your Tip is Buckled?

I was told at a consultation that my tip is buckled, what does that exactly mean, I would have asked him but had to take in a lot of info in on that day and was a bit flustered.

Buckled tip

+1

This is a loosely used term.  Usually it means that the cartilages in the tip of your nose are twisted or deformed somewhat.  This should be able to be improved with surgery, but cannot always be completely corrected.  The skin has a memory and may want to go back to its original shape to some extent.  It depends on what is causing the buckling. 

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

rhinoplasty for buckled tip cartilages

+1

buckled tip cartilage can be the result of prior surgery or just a developmental anomaly of the lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip. The the buckling is treated with a multitude of different techniques such as cartilage grafting, suturing, or removal. It all depends on the amount and shape and type of buckling present. This is all part of routine rhinoplasty in experienced hands.

A Buckled Tip

+1

The term "buckled" is not one of the standard plastic surgery rhinoplasty terms.  It may refer to a portion of the right or left lower lateral cartilage.  This structure is chiefly responsible for the shape and size of the tip.  One of the many manuevers performed during a rhinoplasty can be to reshape and stiffen this structure to achieve the tip shape you desire.  I hope you didn't yawn too much during my explanation!

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Buckled Tip

+1

Buckling usually refers to contour irregularity caused by an area of weakness.  The deformity can usually be corrected with suture technique and/or cartilage grafting.  This is not a conventional term used in rhinoplasty.  It would probably be more useful to you to post photos so that responders  could give a better estimation of what may need to be done.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tip buckling

+1

Tip buckling usually refers to cartilages that are mishapen or curved and need to be treated during rhinoplasty.

Nasal tip buckled

+1

I suspect he is referring to the shape of the nasal tip cartilages which can be irregular in shape and folded upon themselves.  During the tip portion of the rhinoplasty, these irregularities would need to be addressed.  A photograph would be helpful.  Regards.

Andrew B. Denton, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

What does 'Buckling' of the nasal tip mean?

+1

The expression 'buckling' of the nasal tip could mean something different to your surgeon but is could possibly mean that one or both of your nasal tip cartilages has a small fold in it. It could also mean that the nasal septum is deviated and distorting one or both of the tip cartilages. Usually these types of tip anatomy/deformity can be addressed at the time of surgery. I would suggest calling the doctor's office and asking the staff what he meant if you are really concerned about it.  Another consultation would be advisable as well just to get a second opinion. Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

A "buckled" nasal tip may have visible irregularities.

+1

It is difficult to answer your query without a photo. I may describe a buckled tip if I see visible irregularities that may occur after previous Rhinoplasty Surgery. 

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon