Surgeon Manipulated Nose at 2 Week Post Op Visit - is This Okay?

At my 2 week visit my surgeon examined my nose (spreader grafts were placed) and then proceeded to manipulate my nose - pushing on it and squeezing it. It doesn't sound like many doctors touch the nose too much after surgery. He told me I should not touch my nose other than washing/moisturizing, that only he should do so. I should have asked why he did it, but was so surprised that I didn't think to do so... Should I be alarmed?

Nasal Manipulation by Surgeon 2 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

Why do you question the treatment of your physician who "manipulated" your nose 2 weeks post-op? This is the same surgeon that you trusted to operate on your face (nose) when the rhinoplasty was done. I would not be concerned, but ask your surgeon for an explanation.

Be patient with the healing of the nose after surgery

+1

I would not be alarmed. Your surgeon may have felt that he needed to check the strength of cartilages and bones. Possibly he wanted to manipulate a small area of swelling. Please let the healing process take its course. Keep busy.

Hope this was helpful.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Surgeon Manipulating Nose OK

+1

I would not worry that your surgeon manipluated your nose, even though he told you not to touch it.  He may have been feeling the swelling, making sure everything was where it was supposed to be, checking the strength, etc.  Just be patient with the process, and do not worry.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon