I know 2 surgeons, one is old, not really old. Which Surgeon Should I Choose?

I know 2 surgeons, one is old, not really old , and known and has done some of my friends noses....and the other is younger, uses new techniques but no one I know has tried him...I'm not sure whom to choose, the old guy I saw his work, or the new young one with the new techniques :( ...I visited both, they both made a good impact ...I'm confused :(

How to pick a plastic surgeon.

+1

Tips on picking a Plastic Surgeon
Article by George J. Beraka, MD

1) Is the surgeon a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery? Members usually do a lot of cosmetic surgery.

2) Did you sense a commitment to excellence in the office. Did the surgeon spend a lot of time with you? Someone who rushes through the consultation may rush through the surgery.

3) Were you treated as an individual? Did the surgeon present you with a surgical plan tailor made for you?

4) Plastic surgeons have to have a good eye and meticulous technique.  Did the surgeon show you A LOT of before and after pictures, and did you love the results?

5) Talk to other doctors you know. Established plastic surgeons have a reputation in the community, good or bad.

6)  Ask to speak to a patient who has had the procedure you want.  You are looking for a surgeon who does a lot of what you want.   Many  patients are eager to share their experience.  Privacy is preserved by having the patient call you.

7)  If you are having breast augmentation, ask if the surgeon has a large inventory of different size and shape breast implants available in the operating room.  A surgeon who does a lot of breast surgery will have an inventory.  This way, the final implant choice does not have to be made in advance.

8)   With office surgery, make sure the surgical facility is ACCREDITED.   Very important safety assurance.

9)   Make sure the anesthesia is given by a BOARD CERTIFIED ANESTHESIOLOGIST.  Another very important safety factor.

10)  Make sure the office has trained nurses available for hands-on post operative care.  This can really speed recovery.

Choosing a surgeon

+1

All else being equal, consider choosing a surgeon who is able to explain the proposed procedure in the clearest terms that makes the most sense. A favorable outcome occurs when expectation and reality converge. If your surgeon fully understands what you are looking for and proposes a procedure that makes good sense to you based on a conversation of anatomy and physiology than you have likely found your doctor. If what is being proposed does not make perfect sense or if any of your questions are not thoroughly answered with coherent explanations then you probably want to look for another practitioner.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Choice of surgeons

+1

If you like both, then it probably doesn't matter based on that criterion. One thing I ask patients is, who is best able to handle complications, who would you trust the most if something went wrong? If everything goes well, it doesn't matter who you choose. But what happens if something goes wrong: either you are not happy, or you have a complications? Who would you rather have at your side?

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

How to choose a surgeon

+1

If you have interviewed both surgeons and feel comfortable with both, then you need to go with your gut feeling.  It is your body and you should do what you feel is best for you.  If you are still hesitant about both, then I would suggest to keep looking.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD