Why Did my Surgeon Choose to Do Lipo Verses Buccal Fat Removal?

My cheeks were chubby and i wanted them slimmer. After my research I asked for a buccal fat removal and my surgeon suggested lipo and performed lipo instead. why? is it suppose to be better? i still have fat cheeks so i now have to do buccal fat removal.

Buccal fat removal not a good idea.

+1

It depends on where the fat is as to which you would need. I, like many other experienced plastic surgeons, rarely see a good result from buccal fat removal. Also, we feel that with rare exceptions, most patients with "chubby cheeks" will need that fat in the future.

Fat removal of the face

+1

In most cases, I am not a big fan of liposuctioning the face or removing the buccal fat pad unless the patient really has chipmink cheeks. I think in many cases it prematurely ages the patient.

Buccal fat pad removal

+1

You should have known going into the OR what your surgeon was planning to do.  There shouldn't be surprises after surgery like this in most cases.  Buccal fat pad removal has been frowned upon by many experienced plastic surgeons who fear that later in your life you will look gaunt.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Buccal fat removal and facial liposuction for chubby or fat cheeks

+1

Some surgeons do not "believe" or do not advocate buccal fat removal. In some instances both are required for maximal improvement.