Should a Surgeon Charge for a Revision?

I had rhinoplasty 1 1/2 years ago ..I have consulted him selveral times stating that my nose is not nearly as narrow after surgery as he projected during the consultation before the surgery. He has agreed to redo the surgery and narrow the nose. The cost is almost what it was to do the original surgery...does this seem right? a quote of 5,000 was given to narrow the bridge.

Revision Rhinoplasty Pricing

+1

Each physician has his or her own policy regarding revisions.  Patients considering surgery have the right to ask the surgeon about his or her policy in the event that future or revision is required.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

I think this questions is difficult to answer.  I think that revsion rhinoplasty should be covered by the surgeon within one year of the original surgery.  After one years time, there are natural aging changes to the nose which may or may not be the fault of the surgeon.  Bottom line is that a thorough discussion between the patiet and surgeon with open communication and dialogue is key.  With this, I think a fair agreement can be achieved.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Revision rhinoplasty charge

+1

This is something that does not have a standard answer and is between each patient and their surgeon. If the concern is something that both the patient and the surgeon feel is reasonable to do based on the original plan then many surgeons will not charge for their services but the patient will be responsible for any operating room or anesthesia fees. If the surgeon feels that the "problem" is not one that would have been expected to be addressed based on the original consult or plan then the surgeon may charge for his or her services as well. If the problem is due to injury or healing issues beyond the surgeon's control then the surgeon may also charge for a repeat procedure.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cost of revision

+1

It is extremely difficult to answer your questions without seeing your photos or examining you – it would be very helpful to post images showing your areas of concern - if a revision is minor most surgeons will charge a smaller fee than the original, but a major revision may be more expensive than the original

Sam Naficy, MD

Cost of Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

The cost of revising your nose after rhinoplasty surgery depends on your pre-operative agreement and what needs to be done at this time. If you feel the charges are not fair, share your feelngs with the surgeon.

Charging for rhinoplasty

+1

Although it is every surgeon's prerogative about charging or not charging for revisions, I would say that most experienced rhinoplasty surgeons either do not charge for revisions or only charge their actual costs to do the procedure (anesthesia fees and facility fees).  The rate of revision varies widely amongst rhinoplasty surgeons, but most experienced surgeons will revise between 3-7% of their primary rhinoplasties.  If you feel you have lost confidence in your surgeon, it might be worth getting a second opinion from a surgeon experienced in revision work.  You want to find a surgeon who performs at least 100 rhinoplasties per year.  Good luck.

Adam D. Stein, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should a Surgeon Charge for a Revision?

+1

Dear Gina:

Every surgeon is different. Results will vary from the preop projections as plastic surgery is not an exact science, and projections are only estimates. Usually is there is a minor touch up, like narrowing the nose again, I would believe that the cost should not be as high as the initial surgery. If you are happy with your surgeon you may want to discuss with him.

Since you did not provide pictures it is hard to tell how involved the work required will be.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon