Surgeon banked cartilage behind ear under scalp from 1990 Rhinoplasty. Should I be concerned about having there all this time?

Some of the cartilage was use to create a tip. Can still feel it in my scalp, and when I press on it, hurts. Are there any serious issues that can arise from this? Would you recommend having surgery to remove it? In time, is it possible my nose start to lose it's shape requiring a revision? If so, I'd think makes sense to just keep the cartilage in case needed. Concerned about health problems this banked cartilage could cause

Banked Cartilage after Rhinoplasty

+2

given that the cartilage is present in these areas for 20 years +/-, I think it is safe to keep it there indefinitely. There are no known ill effects from this maneuver other than feeling the presence if the cartilage.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage

+2

You need not be concerned about future health problems associated with the banked cartilage.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Banked cartilage

+1
After this much time has passed and you do not indicate a need for its use, the banked tissue can be removed rather easily if you determine it to be bothersome.  Having it there will likely not present any problems either. The choice is yours! 

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is probably reasonable to keep the cartilage in its current location.

Los Angeles, Ca

It is safe to keep the cartilage where it has been banked.

+1

The reason plastic surgeons bank cartilage in the scalp is for it's rich blood supply. This keeps the cartilage alive. You do not need to worry, the banked cartilage will do you no harm and can stay there forever. You are also correct, that it makes sense to keep it in case you need it in the future.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD