How Can I Tell if my Surgeon Has an Aesthetic Eye? I'm Looking For An Angular Chiseled Masculine Look

I was shocked to recently find out that most plastic surgeons are trained in surgery but not in Aesthetics so how is it possible to find one who is. Typically I have had to do a lot of research myself to find out what makes a male more attractive. I'm looking for that angular chiseled look so how is it best to find a surgeon how can provide this for me? Could going to a female surgeon solve the problem??

Aesthetic choices

+1

Board certified facial plastic and general plastic surgeons definitely have principles of aesthetic proportions and desires included in their curriculum. Although there are aethetic "norms" that are taught each surgeon does tend to develop their own aesthetic sense of beauty as they progress in their career. What you need to do is to have several consults with different surgeons, view many before and after photos of previous patients, do some computer imaging and then get a feel if the surgeon understands your aethetic desire and can achieve it. If not keep interviewing different docs  until you are on the same page with one. 

West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial analysis before cosmetic surgery

+1

I do not know where you are getting your information or how you found this out but I do not believe that is correct. I did a plastic surgery residency during which the subject of facial proportions and analysis of aesthetics was covered. I have also taken the inservice training exam for plastic surgery trainees multiple times over the last 10 + years as part of my continuing medical education. I took the last one in March 2011. Each one of these had an aesthetic - cosmetic section where aspects of this topic were covered.

Beauty and aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder however and though I may recommend something to a patient based on the facal analysis that fully informed patient may disagree and not want that part of the procedure. That is their option and I comply with it.

There is really more than one question within your question. One is what makes a male look masculine and the other what makes a male more attractive. The first is easy to answer the second is not. Different women will find different features in a male more or less attractive. If you go to a female surgeon just because she is female you will have to find one whose ideas of attractiveness match yours. 

A better way to approach this for example would be to say you want a more prominent jaw line with more visible angles. Then you would need opinions whether cutting and moving the bone are better/worse than implants. Then you need to know which implants are available by type of material and shape. Then you pick the implant(s) that most approximate what you want, and the surgeon you feel would be best to do the procedure etc. This will require some work on your part.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Good people are where you find them.

+1

It is critical that you spend the time (and money) to find a surgoen who thinks like you do.  Do not assume they get it.  Most surgeons don't get it unfortunately.  Carefully listen to how the analyze your concerns.  If they are not on the right wavelength, this is not your surgeon.  There is no shortcut for this.