Can my Surgeon Add Some More Saline 2 Weeks After my Surgery?

I just had Breast Augmentation 3 weeks ago and I didn't like the result at all, it seems smaller than I had expected wehn i was trying on some salines during my pre op. Can my Surgeon add some more Saline if I go back to him?

Adding more fluid to implants

+1

At 2-3 weeks after surgery, it is unlikley that any surgeon would go back at this time to add more fluid. Even if they would, you most likely would need different implants to increase the volume and stay within acceptable fill volumes.

"Topping off" a saline breast implant after augmentation

+1

Yes your surgoen can add more saline but most would not do this so recently after surgery. Moreover, implants have a recommended fill size and it is unlikely that staying within the fill range would satisfy your desires. In order to achieve a significant enough increase, it is more likely that you will require a new implant. Exceeding an implants recommended fill volumes can result in a higher rate of implant failure.

Adjusting implants after surgery

+1

Some implants are adjustable after surgery by use of a port to inject.  The regular saline implants require reopening the incision and filling.  This may void the warranty and also increases the risk of capsules forming.  I won't guarantee my patients a size because sometimes the implant doesn't fit or the skin is too tight, or it just looks terrible. 

Other doctors will have patients try on implants and choose which one they want and they put that implant in.  To add 25 cc to your implant will not make a difference and at this point you are not seeing the accurate result.  Give it 8 weeks and then decise what you want to do.  Keep your appointments with your doctor and discuss your concerns.  I am sure you will be happy in the end.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

More Fluid Can be Added To Your Implant: But With Limits

+1

Assuming your surgeon filled the implants according to the usual guidelines, you may not have much room for more to be added.  So if you are wanting a full or even a half cup size increase you actually need new implants of a larger size.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Post-surgery adjustments in saline implant size not usually a good option

+1

There are several aspects to your question, the first of which is the process for choosing the size. I also prefer to use the method of trying samples in a bra, but this exaggerates what they will look like implanted so we make an adjustment to a bit larger. There is no way to predict exactly what the size will be however, and no way to know what will be the perfect size in the long run. The other thing is that adding saline will only make a slight change in size, almost never enough to justify additional surgery. Best advice is to wait a while anyway, because you may decide that you like the size later on.

Richard Baxter, MD