Did the Suregry Go Wrong, Were the Pockets Made Uneven at Surgery?

4weeks later, boobs have not settled. They sit high, been told to keep massaging them to aid the process. I'm pushing/massaging up and down, so hard and so often that my hands are killing me. It's a pain in the butt! I'm wearing a tight band at top of implants day+night. But, the bottom is uneven. Was it done wrong at surgery? Is this tight skin and tissue that will soon stretch? Will this eventually round out? How can they drop if there's an uneven space, It doesn't seem right? Is this normal?

Uneven pockets after breast augmentation

+2

The implant pockets should be even after breast augmentation with the implant centered on the nipple. Breast shape can impede the process of settling in, for if the fold is tight under the breast, or the skin envelop of the breast is constricted, the implant may sit higher (think of an upside down teardrop as the upper skin gives more easily than the bottom) until the lower skin of the breast expands. The photo of you pushing hard demonstrates pushing the implant below the breast fold, stressing the infra-mammary incision. Your implants may not fit or work out to your satisfaction though they possibly will, and at best use a band over a T-shirt at night, and be patient for several months to see how your breast conforms to the implant. Keep the band snug, not tight.

peterejohnsonmd

Breasts situated too high

+2

Without appropriate before and after photos it is difficult to provide you with specific and accurate advice. The pictures that you did send do not reveal the overall configuration of your breasts so your specific concern is not demonstrated by them. If the implants are too high, some of the issues could be that the implants are too large for your anatomy and/or that the folds at the bottom of the breast were either not lowered or lowered adequately. One or both implants could have just been situated too high. Some of the apparent fullness higher up could also be related to a still tight skin envelope which will stretch to some extent over time.

Your best bet now would be to share your concerns with your surgeon and obtain his/her opinion. If you feel uncomfortable, get 1 or more second opinions.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

You had tubular breast

+2

Your had sever tubular breast and it was not released .Your implant is not expanding the lower pole of the breast and moved below the infra mammary fold. You need to wait three months and discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Uneven pockets after augmentation

+2

Four weeks is too early to judge results, especially if the implants were placed under the muscle.  I do not advocate massage, but I do believe in the effectiveness of a bandeau bra (a strap worn across the top of the breasts).  Give things at least 3-4 months to settle before critically evaluating your results.  See your surgeon monthly so he or she can help you evaluate when you have reached a plateau in your healing and settling.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

High breast implants

+1

At 4 weeks, most breast implants are settling nicely in their designed pockets.  Patients with tight inframammary soft tissues often need a little more time for the implants to settle.  I would suspect that is the case with your implants.  It is too early to get too concerned with high implants.  Continue to follow your plastic surgeons instructions and be patient. 

Worst case scenario, the implants remain high.  This could require a simple revision procedure.  Wait at least 6 months to make this determination.

Good luck.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Unsettled breasts

+1

Please give it another 2 to 3 months. Tissues relax around the implant along with the resolution of swelling which allows the implant to settle properly. Continue with the massages and see your physician for assurance.

Have patience,

Dr. Lille

Sean T. Lille, MD

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

+1

Some asymmetry is normal after breast augmentation, and may not resolve fore several months after surgery. Although massaging the breasts may be beneficial, you should not be doing it to such an extent that your hands hurt afterwards. You should always consult with your plastic surgeon if you have any concerns about your results.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Breast Massage After Implant Surgery

+1

It would be best to post before and after pictures so we can give you more specific advice.  Thanks for posting the after picture with you massaging the implant.  However, a picture just in the neutral position would also give good information.  As for the final result, you really need to wait several months as the tissues settle and the swelling resolves.  You will be surprised with the positive changes.

Good Luck. 

David Shafer, MD

Implants and results

+1

4 weeks is a bit early after breast surgery to see the final result. You have to give it several months to improve. You should consult with your surgeon but I do  not think you should be "killing" yourself to massage them.

Pockets at augmentation

+1

it is still too early to tell. please give 6 months before you judge the result.  i dont think your surgeon wants you to massage till it hurts.  check your preop pictures, there may have been some asymetry ahead of time

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon