Supratip Swelling at 6 Months? (photo)

I am six months post-rhinoplasty and I have significant supratip swelling. Is this normal? Is it even swelling, or is it cartilage? I am at a disadvantage because I cannot consult with my surgeon face-to-face since I flew out of state to have the procedure done. This is extremely frustrating. Is it plausible to have a different plastic surgeon in my state administer steroid injections to try to help the swelling?

Supra-tip fullness: swelling vs cartilage

+1

Hello lulu,

Thank you for the question and the photo.  The further out you are from your surgery date the less swelling that you should expect.  Since swelling should be a minimal issue at this point we have to start entertaining the idea that it is cartilage.  I would communicate with your out of state plastic surgeon via email using photos.  He/she can guide you with respect to timing of revision surgery.  I do not think steroid injection by another plastic surgeon is the best course of action at this time.

Dr. Remus Repta

Supratip Swelling at 6 Months?

+1

Based only on the limited info posted I doubt this is swelling but it could be residual tissue/cartilage. Only revisional surgery will correct! 

Supratip Swelling 6 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

Without examining you it is difficult to determine if this is temporary swelling which will resolve over the next several months or if it is excess cartilage that can be eliminated.You should contact your surgeon for his recommendations. He may recommend another surgeon near you for a follow-up examination.    

Swelling or cartilage causing supra tip fullness after rhinoplasty.

+1

Swelling or cartilage causing supra tip fullness after rhinoplasty. You need to see your surgeon or an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. If it is cartilage it will need to be shaved and not use steroids. 

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Send your surgeon a set of photos and see what he/she says.  Your contours do look a little full, but still very acceptable.  It is hard to fully evaluate the results without a pre-op picture to go by.

By 6 months the swelling is probably gone and any residual fullness is likely to be permanent.  If you can't  get back to your surgeon get an opinion from a local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with a lot of revision rhinoplasty experience.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Addressing supratip edema post rhinoplasty

+1

If your surgeon is out of state, it's helpful to send photos just like the one you posted to follow up with her/him.  Your surgeon will have suggestions on how to address the supratip fullness, and may even know surgeons in your area he/she could refer you to.  Injections of kenalog or 5-FU likely will help improve the fullness.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Out of State rhinoplasty complicates postoperative management.

+1

Super tip swelling is one face of convalescence that can be altered by the surgeon. Steroid injections and pressure dressings can help. Even at six months a bit of swelling in this area is not uncommon.

Supratip swelling following a rhinoplasty

+1

You do have some degree of supratip swelling.  I would send a photo to your out of state surgeon and ask for  his suggestions.  I would wait about another 6 months before determining if this is a permanent problem.  Sometimes a little judicious use of steroid in this zone can help decrease the swelling.  

Nasal Swelling after #Rhinoplasty

+1

From your photos, you can see the supratip fullness, but it impossible to tell if it is swelling or residual cartilage. If you can compress the area with your finger and it temporarily disappears, then it is likely to be swelling. Otherwise, if you cannot compress this. it is residual cartilage that would need to be removed surgically. Discuss this with your surgeon, perhaps via video conferencing to make an informed decision.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD