Supratip Fulness: Scar or Excessive Cartilage? (photo)

4 months ago I had a rhinoplasty,and my tip is still very projected.the doctor who operated me said its excessive scar production but according to another doctor who saw me today its excessive cartilage that should have been removed. could you please give me your opinion by looking at the pictures I posted?I would really appreciate.thank You very much

Tip Fullness

Thank you for your question!  Tip fullness after rhinoplasty can be caused by many factors.  However, at 4 months, in my opinion, patients will still have post-operative swelling which may not have gone away.  In fact, I usually will counsel my patients that nasal swelling will not be fully resolved until one year post-operatively.  It is difficult to tell based on your pictures exactly why you have this swelling.  In general, though, I try to counsel my patients not to undergo any other changes to the nose until at least 6 months, and more realistically until one year post-operatively.  Be sure, though, to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  I hope this answers your question!

-David Gilpin

Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip swelling after rhinoplasty

You are likely still swollen and its difficult to assess your nose with only a frontal view. That being said it does appear that your nasal tip cartilages are prominent and vertically oriented. Patients with this configuration of nasal tip cartilage may require tip reductive and in some situtations tip cartilage repositioning to obtain ideal results.

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose issues

From the frontal view photographs it appears that you have prominent lower lateral cartilages that are giving the fullness.  Other views and an in-person exam would be better.

You pictures are consistant with extra cartilage

You pictures are showing the prominent lower lateral cartilage. The swelling would be more even and you have cartilage sticking out more over the right side. You will need revision and do not get cortisone injections...

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip might need revision, but not now.

Your tip looks as though there is some excessive projection of the tip cartilages.  However, at this time my opinion is speculative and you indeed have some swelling.  I would keep in touch with your surgeon over the next few months and see how things change.