Solutions for Supratip Fullness After Rhinoplasty?

I had a primary rhinoplasty 2.5 years ago. Supratip fullness was visible immediately after the removal of the cast. Cortisone injections were not given. I was hoping that the deformity will recede with time but it never did. Are there any other solutions to this problem apart from secondary surgery?

Treaqtment of Supratip Fullness

+2

If the supratip fullness is the caused by scar tissue, cortisone injections may be helpful, even 2.5 years after your rhinoplasty. If this is not successful, revision surgery to lower the profile line above the tip by removing the scar tissue or residual excess septal cartilage and possibly a small tip graft to increase tip projection will provide the desired definition.

Round Tip and Supratip Fullness after Rhinoplasty Surgery

+2

Supratip fullness or a rounded tip may occur after rhinoplasty surgery, which results in a poorly defined, amorphous tip without definition. No treatment is required, especially if one is happy with the appearance and function of the nose. Supratip fullness also may naturally be present without rhinoplasty.

Typically, it's due to scarring in the area after rhinoplasty surgery. Steroid injections will help reduce the scarring and fullness. Steroid injections may even help years after the initial operation. Alternatively, revision rhinoplasty surgery may be required. Additional cartilage may need to be removed, reshaped, or placed to help project the tip out more.

Speak with a rhinoplasty plastic surgeon to help determine appropriate options for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty healing

+1

I would go and see a plastic surgeon for his evaluation. It is difficult to tell from your photo. It would help to see you and determine whether your skin is thick which may be the reason for this area not being more defined as well as what was actually done. Kenalog(cortise) injection could be done carefully and with very dilute for this of itself may cause problems.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Surpatip fullness after rhinoplasty.

+1

You could give a try to cortisone injection 1 time. If this is scar, it may sometimes work. If after 6 weeks, there is no improvement, then you should see a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon. Sometimes the cartilage is a little high and sometimes it is scar tissue.

Solutions for Supra-Tip Fullness Following Rhioplasty

+1

Hi Pluie,

The only non-surgical solution to your supra-tip fullness ("polybeak deformity") is injectable fillers.  Radiesse, Juvederm, Restylane are all temporary fixes.  Silicon-1000 is permanent, which is great when performed properly, a horror story when done wrong.  The best permanent solution is revision surgery.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Your appearance may be improved with a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty.

+1

I reviewed your profile photo and your concern. I doubt you would benefit from a Kenalog injection to the full area above your tip since all post-surgical swelling is gone 2.5 years after your Rhinoplasty Surgery. It wouldn't hurt to try a dilute steroid injection, but results, if any, would be limited. 

Your supratip fullness is quite mild, and not terribly distracting. You could consider an Injectable Filler treatment to raise your bridge. This could provide you with a straight (rather than curved) profile, and minimize your concern.

If raising your bridge is out of the question, then start with a Kenalog injection and leave revision rhinoplasty surgery as a last resort.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Supratip deformity

+1

A supratip deformity at 2.5 years after surgery will probably only improve with surgery.  This may be due to soft tissue and/or septal cartilage.

Fullness just above the tip of the nose following rhinoplasty is called a "polybeak deformity"

+1

This sounds like an insulting term but that is the term used in the medical literature to describe supra-tip fullness after rhinoplasty. There are a number of causes and different treatments for each. Thick skin produces more swelling and scar tissue after rhinoplasty. This can be treated by injections after surgery and prevented by removing more cartilage in this areas plus careful taping. Secondly, too much cartilage may have been left on the upper part of the septum or upper lateral cartilages. This is treated by removing the excess cartilage. Lastly, settling of the nasal tip will give the supra-tip a pseudo-hump appearance. Treatment is by strengthening nasal tip projection and prevention by making sure not too much projection is lost when the tip is refined.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD