Can Supra-tip Swelling Be Caused from a Cephalic Trim of 2-3mm?

A post here where the doctor replied about choosing a supra-tip break (my case-Dr. didn't say "supra-tip break", but did discuss lowering dorsum 1-2 mm,allowing tip to be slightly higher)and that it was easy to fix post-operatively if you change your mind. I am about 21/2 months and "swelling" at the top of my tip exaggerates a look of roundness and it seems lifted and not a nice smooth transition from dorsum to tip on frontal. I visit my Dr. in a couple weeks.Scared it's not swelling!

Supratip swelling

+1

Pix would help and palpation is very important so hands on evaluation is stressed. But, it is not unusual fro this swelling to last a few months and cortisone injections (2-3 every 4 weeks) helps. Residual dorsal cartilage needs to be ruled out which may require revision (simple). But, be patient and follow your PS's advice.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Supratip Swelling

+1

Supratip swelling is the very last place for swelling to resolve after rhinoplasty. Just a small amount of swelling can dramatically change the look of the width of the tip.  After 6 weeks if significant supratip swelling remains, I inject the area with Kenalog.  This usually fixes the problem although you sometimes need to inject it more than once.  After 2.5 months of swelling, Kenalog would be the answer.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Supratip swelling

+1

Supra tip swelling and swelling in general after a rhinoplasty is quite common and will last up to a year or more in some individuals.  Give it time to improve.

Swelling At the Tip is the Last Area to Resolve After a Rhinoplasy

+1

At 2.5 months after a rhinoplasty, you are still healing.  Swelling will continue to go down for the next 10 months.  The tip area of the nose is last area where the swelling resolves.  I would be patient at this time.  

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Supra-tip swelling

+1

The swelling will be caused by lifting up the skin during surgery, not from the amount of cartilage resected.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon