Suppose to Keep the Mole Removal Site Dry or Moist?

So I just had my facial moles removed via laser. And I was wondering if I'm suppose to keep it moist or dry. If moist, what type of thing could I put on there ex. Tee tree oil, emu oil, aloe vera. Oh, and the wounds are already developing a scab..

Mole removal postcare

+1

You want to keep the area clean and moist.  Use either vaseline or Aquaphor on the area to help it help faster.  Also, minimize sun exposure of the area.

Mole removal after laser and how to take care of it

+1

You should take care of the mole removal area after laser just like a laser resurfacing. It will require cleaning it every 2-3 hours with vinegar and water, constant vaseline coverage.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keep the mole removal site moist

+1

Keep the area moist with Vaseline or Aquaphor to help the areas heal more quickly.  Use sun protection.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Keep removal sites moist!

+1

The idea is to keep the area moist. I recommend Vaseline or preferably Polysporin (not Neosporin) after any removal or surgery. You need to keep the area clean with 1/2 peroxide and water, and keep any scabs or crusty areas off the site. The reason is that even though we were taught as youngsters that scabs are healing, actually scabs equate to scars. So keeping the area clean and moist allows new pink skin to form, and keeps scars to a minimum.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Post op care for mole removal

+1

Post op care varies from office to office so you should ask your physician what they recommend you do. In our office we give all of our patients written instructions after a mole removal. These instructions say to keep the area clean by gently washing twice daily with soap and water and then applying either plain petroleum jelly or Aquaphor Healing Ointment. Band aids are optional after the first day. BTW, I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. There are many ways to surgically remove a mole with a minimal scar and have tissue to send for microscopic examination which is the only way to ensure that it was benign. Using a laser to improve the appearance of a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon