Am I Suppose to Take my Antibiotics 3 Days Before my Breast Augmentation Surgery?

I am confused because at one pre op consult she marked it out and didn't mention it , she just mentioned the other supplements but not the antibiotics, and then at another consult I asked about the medicines and another assistant told me to start the antibiotics 3 days before my surgery date ? I am so confused and don't want to call and ask because my surgeon was very rude at my last preop and even threatened not to do my surgery because she thinks that I don't trust her. She was very rude.

Relationship with staff and surgeon / Buena relaccion con el cirujano y su equipo

+2

If you don't get along with your doctor and staff DON'T do the surgery.  The decision to do plastic surgery is a very personal one.  Lack of confidence in the office or the doctor to communicate with you is a big red flag.  Whether it is a breast aug or total body lift you need to trust your partners in health.  The antibiotic issue is truly secondary in this case.

Good luck, and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Si usted no se lleva bien con su doctor y su equipo entonces no se haga la cirugia. La decision de someterse a una cirugia plastica es muy personal. La falta de confianza en la oficina o en la manera como el medico se comunica con usted es una seƱal roja. No importa si es un aumento de senos o levantamiento completo del cuerpo, usted deve de confiar en los profesionales de la salud. El tema del antibiotico es realmente secundario en este caso.

Suerte y gracias por su pregunta.

Atentamente,

Anire Okpaku MD

Antibiotics before BA

+1
I think you may want to rethink your choice of surgeon.  Sounds like the two of you (or maybe you and the staff) are not on the same page.  Surgery is a long term relationship!

Mary Gingrass, MD

Communication with your surgeon

+1

There seems to be a big problem with your choice of surgeon in my opinion. Communication and trust are more important than you think. I would strongly advise you to cancel your surgery and find another board certified surgeon to complete your procedure. You should feel very comfortable with all aspects of surgery before your proceed. As far as the antibiotics, I don't think there is any need for antibiotics before surgery. The latest literature would suggest a dose of IV antibiotics right before surgery as your only need for antibiotics. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Patient-Surgeon On Different Pages

+1

Hi,

It seems that you are not satisfied with a surgeon who will be operating on your body.

I believe that if there is no trust between the patient and her surgeon, results are most likely to be negatively affected.

I encourage you to seek a consultation with a board certified surgeon of extensive experience who will advise you well to make an informed decision.

Best of luck to you and thank you for sharing your experience.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

+1

You should never feel "threatened" by your surgeon before surgery, to the extent that you are afraid to ask about important pre-operative instructions, such as antibiotics.  In order to get a great result from your surgery, open lines of communication are necessary both before and after surgery.  You may consider getting a second opinion with a different surgeon that you feel more comfortable with, before committing to surgery.

Michel C. Samson, MD
Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Antibiotics before breast augmentation

+1

Hi, it sounds like you are not on the same page with your surgeon regardless of the anitbiotics issue. There is no reason to start antibiotics 3 days before an augmentation but this is a surgeon's personal preference. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with whom you can communicate more easily and good luck. 

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Preoperative antibiotics for breast augmentation

+1

Instructions for your upcoming surgery should be clear, and the staff should be considerate. If they are not, this should put up red flags.  The doctor or his office staff should review this with you.

Relationship with Plastic Surgeon?

+1

In my opinion, the nature of your relationship with your plastic surgeon is of more concern than exactly when the antibiotics are taken. I think you should be careful that you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully;  remember you are entering (hopefully) into a long term relationship and should be able to communicate questions/concerns without hesitation.

I think you should schedule another meeting with your plastic surgeon and make sure you have made a good choice;  if not, seek other consultations.

Antibiotics

+1

Communication is key for successful plastic surgery, and it does not appear that your surgeon or her staff is communicating with you well. Request to speak with the surgeon alone, and calmly but firmly lay out your concerns. If you do not receive an appropriately professional response, then you may wish to consider other surgeons.

Surgeons vary on when to start the antibiotics so you will need to ensure when your surgeon wishes you to begin.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS