Supplement Recommendations Prior to Surgery? And Is It Okay To Consume A Couple Alcohol Drinks A Few Days Before My Surgery?

I am getting my current implants removed new ones put in and I am getting a full anchor lift. Do you suggest taking supplements to promote healing? If so what type. I have read Zinc and Vitamin C and Bromelain are good choices. I know E is not good and causes bleeding. Also in regard to Alchol I was told a week before but I have a party this Saturday and wondering if bad if I had a drink or two.

Supplements for surgery

+2

Vitamin C 1000 mg/day and Zinc 220 mg/day are excellent supplements prior to surgery, in addition to adequate protein intake.  Avoiding Vit E is also important.  Other supplements may not have other than placebo effects.  One or 2 drinks 2 days before surgery should be fine, but don't get a hangover!

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Diet and Alcohol Prior to Breast Augmentation/Lifting Surgery?

+2

Always best to check with your plastic surgeon about specific instructions prior to surgery. However, personally I do not think it is necessary to take any specific supplements prior to surgery (assuming you  are in good health and consume a healthy diet).  Also, assuming  alcohol consumption is done in moderation ("a drink or two"),  you should be fine.  Do not expose yourself to nicotine (first or second hand) prior to surgery.

Again, best to confirm with your plastic surgeon.

Supplements prior to surgery and alcohol consumption

+1

There are noted benefits to taking Vitamin C and Zinc to promote healing.  I actually supply my patients with a homeopathic medication called Sinnech prior to their procedure to aid in the reduction of swelling and bruising.  As mentioned by the other surgeons on this board, you should consult with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery. I have my patients also avoid any alcohol for two weeks prior to their surgery to lessen their bleeding risk. Good luck on your procedure!

Tanya Aya Atagi, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Considerations regarding supplements and alcohol as related to breast surgery

+1

Since your surgeon has responsibility for your care, he/she should be the one that you are asking regarding the taking of supplements and consumption of alcohol prior to surgery. As noted by other respondents, vitamin C and zinc can help in the healing process. Alcohol may affect the risk for bleeding so again, discuss this with your surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Supplements and surgery

+1

I think this an excellent question and surgeon's opinions greatly vary.  I agree that Vitamin C and Zinc are safe and Vitamin E should be avoided.  In terms of alcohol, a drink or two a couple of days before surgery is not a big deal, but please heed your surgeon's advice.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Vitamins before surgery

+1

Over the counter multi-vitamins should be fine before surgery.  In terms of alcohol intake, 1 or 2 drinks with a meal should be fine.  However, don't over do it.  There are published studies out there that alcohol intake can increase the risk of postoperative infection slightly.  Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Supplements before surgery

+1

I usually have patients avoid herbals and major supplements before surgery.  Usually just a multivitamin is fine.  A drink or two is probably ok, just check with your surgeon.

Vitamin Recommendations before Surgery

+1

We carry the vitamedica line of pre-surgical vitamins that are specifically  designed for pre and post operative use. They are tailored to promote healing and recovery and avoids anything which may cause increased bleeding, a few drinks never hurt, but do not overindulge before surgery !

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon