What to Do About Sunspot Resistant to Several Treatments?

I've had a sunspot on my cheek (dime-sized) for 10 years (I'm 34). I have very pale skin and have been wearing SPF 60+ sunblock for the last 12 years. I have been to 6 dermatologists who have tried treating it with lasers & bleaching creams (TriLuma, Solage). I have had 25 cryotherapy treatments on this patch over the last 2 years (1 per month). Biopsy results were "sunspot". My current doctor is stumped and she doesn't know what else to try. Help! No one can figure it out! Can you offer any advice?

Los Angeles Sunspot Treatment

+1

vh6829,

Thanks for the question.

Without having prior knowledge as to which treatments you have specifically undergone, it is difficult to give an assessment. Having looked at your picture, however, I have several suggestions that I believe would improve if not eradicate your sunspot. This would include a fractionated laser treatment in conjunction with an aggressive short-course bleaching regime followed by a sound skincare regime and daily sunblock. 

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Resistant Sun Spot Treatment

+1

Hi VH.  Your picture is interesting because the mark looks almost as much like a cafe-au-lait birthmark as it does a sun spot.  The good news is that the treatment would be the same for either one.  Before we go into the solution, we are curious to know which lasers were used for treatment already?

Regardless of how this pigment developed, we would use a q-switched Nd:Yg laser (Palomar Q-Yag V or Hoya Conbio Medlite C6) to remove it.  Because it appears superfical we would use the 532 nm wavelength of the laser.  If it is a brthmark there would be a chance that it comes back sometime in the future.  If it's just sun related it should not come back after treatment.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD