Sunken Eyes and Restylane Didn't Help? (photo)

8 months ago I had a Restylane injection but I haven't seen any difference. Eyes are still sunken but in specific way - only between eye orbits and nasal bone so it looks like a "line". Surgeon told me the cause of hollows near eyes is facial anatomy and I should try Restylane but effect won't be amazing because of my age and imprefection will be still more or less visible in my case. Is he right? I've been looking at before/after photos but I didn't find exapmle so close to mine. Am I helpless?

Restylane under the eyes

+2

Dear mamotoja,

• I agree with the previous doctor, you probably did not have enough
  • I frequently need to use at least one syringe per side for the best results
  • The best thing to do is to go for another opinion to see what your options are

Best regards,
Nima Shemirani

Restylane for sunken area under eyes

+2

I'm not sure how much Restylane you had injected, but it may be simply that you didn't have enough.  Did you already discuss this possibility with your injector?  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sunken Eyes and Restylane Injections

+1

The under eye area often requires a bit more Restylane than other areas in order to achieve desired results. I'm not sure how much you initially injected, but I would recommend possibly using more. The injector also needs make sure they are at the correct depth for your particular needs. There are other options for treating the under eye area as well, such as a more permanent treatment like fat injections. Fat injections can correct the hollowing under your eyes.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane to Tear Troughs

+1

Perhaps the filler was not injected at the optimum depth or at the precise point.  Perhaps you just need more Restylane to fill the depth of the tear trough.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Restylane under eye filler - enough or not?

+1

Although the idea of a "syringe" of a product may seem like a lot - it actuality, a single syringe of most fillers is only the equivalent of 1/5th of a teaspoon. Often patients require more than they expect to get the results they want.

I'm not sure that is the situation in this instance, but it is common for patients to erroneously assume one syringe will "do the trick".

The face has multiple fat compartments that provide various contours and hollows. When one area has lost enough volume to create a hollow, there's a reasonable expectation that adjacent compartments are lacking too.

Often a physician will need to determine if other areas need filler to support what's being injected "above" or "next to". We like to think of one problem existing by itself, but often that's not the case.

With any filler, an adequate amount is needed to get the best result and addressing the entire face instead of one area increases patient satisfaction many times over.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Restylane and tear troughs

+1

Without knowing how much product was used initially and viewing photo's of your treatment after it was performed 8 months ago, it's very difficult to answer your question. Without seeing you in person to assess your specific issue, it's hard to say what might be best to treat your area of concern. There are always options, and sometimes it takes consulting with more than one provider to help determine what those are.  

Sam Naficy, MD