Sunken Eye After Orbital Fracture? (photo)

I had orbital fracture surgery abt 5 months ago. I have a constant mild headche ( 4 days in a week) at the back left side of my eye ( injured eye). The pain is very mild but it doesn't go away. Also, my left eye looks very different than my right eye. There is no fat underneath myleft eye anymore which really bothers me. I was wondering if the fat will grow naturally underneath my left eye . Any suggession will be greatly appreciated.

Secondary Correction of Sunken Eye After Fracture

+2

While there are a variety of ways to build up the sunken eye, suffice it to say that the orbital fat that has been lost will not regrow on its own. To get the eye back into a better horizontal position to the uninjured eye, some type of material will need to be added to the sunken floor from an eyelid incisional approach.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

Sunken eye--

+1

Fractures of the bone beneath the eye may result in a sunken eye. I would recommend that you be re-evaluated by an ophthalmic plastic surgeon. There are various procedures while will restore the eye to an improved position and thus lessen the facial and eyelid .

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sunken Eye After Orbital Fracture?

+1

Your history is a bit confusing. Did you have a surgical intervention for the orbital fracture? If not now you need a 3-D catscan of the facial bones with attention to the orbit. Than you will need operative intervention to correct. Please give follow up. 

+1

It is unlikely that fat will grow back.  Most probably your eyeball is sinking with the swelling going away, giving the appearance of a sunken orbit.  If you do not like the look, see an Oculoplastic surgeon who can discuss several option for you regarding either reconstructing or camouflaging the asymmetry.

Web reference: http://www.neweyelids.com/

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Orbital Floor Fracture or ZMC?

+1

An orbital floor fracture that is consistent with enophthalmos (lower eyeball) or one that causes double vision or one due to a large defect of greater than 1 cm2 should be repaired.  A ZMC (zygomaticomaxillary complex) fracture can have similar elements, and I cannot determine what you have from the information or picture provided.  If you have an orbital floor fracture, bone graft or implant may be appropriate to support the floor.  If you have a ZMC fracture at 5 months, you will need several osteotomies to bring the face back into alignment.

Sunken eye after orbital fracture

+1

It would be helpful to see a picture that shows more of your lower eye area.  After an orbital fracture, the eye can appear somewhat sunken because the support for the eyeball can be affected.  If this happens, there normally would not be any fat growth that would occur.  Depending on the extent of the fracture, sometimes surgery can be done on the bones that would improve the sunken appearance.  If surgery on the bone is not indicated, then an alternative would be injecting fillers or fat into the area below the eye to help.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon