Sunburn Post Revision Rhinoplasty?

Hello, I had a revision 9 weeks ago. I wear sunscreen daily and usually avoid the sun, but today I happen to be outside for a prolonged period of time (work festival) and got a bad sunburn on my nose! I am so worried that I caused permanent damage and don't know what to do or how to treat it? Did I ruin the final surgical result? I am buying a hat as we speak, but feel that it's too late. Thank you for all your helpful advise, because my surgeon is out of town.

Sunburn following revision rhinoplasty

+1

Using sunscreen daily is a great habit, as it will protect your skin on a daily basis and reduce the risk of melanoma in the future. Following rhinoplasty surgery, it is generally a good idea to take the following precautions:

1) Avoid spending extended periods of time in direct sunlight

2) Wear sunscreen or a protective hat if you are exposed to the sun

But not to worry, you did not cause any permanent damage to your nose by exposing it to the sun. You increase your chance of developing little red spots on nose called telangiectasias.  If you do develop them, they can be easily removed with a laser.  You may also experience an increase in swelling, and your skin may be a bit more sensitive in that area. Everything should be fine, but feel free to contact your surgeon with any questions or concerns. I hope this helps, and best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Web reference: http://rhinoplastycharlotte.com/rhinoplasty-surgery/revision-rhinoplasty/

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sunburn on nose after rhinoplasty

+1

A sunburn in general isn ot good because it can predispose you to skin cancers.  As for the skin after a rhinoplasty it should be ok and should not cause permanent skin issues in the majority of sunburns.

Sunburn after rhinoplasty

+1

No worries.  Rhinoplasty surgery focuses on the underlying cartilage and bone of the nose.  A sunburn will not damage to a depth that will influence your final result.  

However I will add that your nose skin is definitely swollen two weeks after surgery.  At this point, the skin is also very reactive and therefore susceptible to swelling driven by allergies, irritants, sunburn, salt intake, etc.  So I suspect you had a noticeable increase in swelling from the burn.  Again, just take care of it from here and all will go away.  Keep the burn moisturized with an OTC cream, or even a very thin layer of aquaphor, and your body will take care of the rest.

Web reference: http://www.robertsonplasticsurgery.com

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon