Sunburn 1 Month After Surgery?

I didn't know My nose would be this sensitive but I got a sunburn one month after surgery, And I don't know what to do.. My nose is red and even peeling a bit. My surgeon said to avoid this before, and I took my hat off for literally 20 minutes I didn't think this would happen seeing as I have never gotten sunburned in my life. What do I do???

Sunburn 1 Month After Surgery?

+1

Dear Newnosee,

Thank you for your question.  Sun should be avoided on any operative site, especially one that involves 'lifting' of tissue off of deeper structures.  When this is done, the blood supply to that tissue is temporarily decreased.  It is more suseptable to burn.  At this point, when you already have a burn, avoid sun exposure, use sunblock, and sunburn topical treatment of choice. 

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Sunburn One Month after Rhinoplasty

+1

Regardless of your previous history a sunburn is possible because the circulation has been temporarily compromised during the operation. Follow your surgeon's instructions during the post-operative period.