Sunburn Effect After Breast Reduction?

Is it normal to have very sensitive skin after a breast reduction surgery? I'm not talking about the shooting pains. The area above and on top of the breasts are super sensitive to the touch. The best way I can describe it is that it's like having a very bad sunburn. The skin isn't too hot and the incisions all look fine. It's just this sensitivity that is hurting me. The only time it doesn't hurt is when I'm not moving or wearing any clothes on top. Is this normal? If so, how long does it last?

Sensitivity after Breast Reduction

+1

This may be perfectly normal if the breasts are sensitive.  Some women have the same sensitivity, some have hypersensitivity, and some have decreased sensitivity.  If you have any other concerns or symptoms, I would recommend an exam by your plastic surgeon.

Hyper Sensitive Skin after Breast Reduction?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure. Although some hyper sensitivity of the skin can be “normal” after any surgical procedure, tenderness may also be a sign of a complication. Therefore, it is always best to address these types of postsurgical concerns with your own plastic surgeon who will be in the best position to advise  and/or reassure you after direct examination.

Best wishes; hopefully you'll be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure.

Breast reduction and sensitivity

+1

Some sensitivity of the skin is normal initially after surgery. If it is prolonged, then that would be worrisome. It may need to be checked out by your doctor.

Hypersensitivity after BR

+1

Yes, there can be hypersensitivity of the skin following a breast reduction and it can be normal. The condition is often improved by massage with a moisturizer ( Aquaphore) on a regular basis and / or compression like a sports braw or bicycle shirt. It should improve over the course of several weeks to months. Consider addressing your concerns with your surgeon at your next visit. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon