Used Sunscreen and Still Had Sunburn After Rhinoplasty, Will this Do Anything Permanent?

I got rhinoplasty done about 8 weeks ago, and I have been applying spf 60 sunscreen like crazy, so often infact that my nose is completely white from the sunscreen. However, I went to the beach the other day and applied my sunscreen every half hour and I fear i still got burned because my nose is red and was red after my rhinoplasty. What happens if i get a slight burn on my nose? Im going to greece in two weeks, what can i do to help prevent more burning!

Sunburn on rhinoplasty skin

+1

Your nasal skin wil lbe quite sensitive to getting a sunburn for several weeks after surgery.  The best thing to do is to use sun block and stay out of the sun.

Sunburn is common early after rhinoplasty

+1

The skin over the bridge of the nose will be sun sensitive until the inflammation of healing has fully subsided, usually several months after your procedure. Despite sunscreen, sunburns can be common and more care is needed than usual. The sunburn will no do any damage though will be uncomfortable. A clear or micronized zinc sun block may be of help.

peterejohnsonmd

Sunburn after rhinoplasty

+1

Obviously you should always avoid sunburning after rhinoplasty.  Aside from the skin cancer risk, UV exposure at levels to cause a sunburn create swelling in the skin and can delay the healing process.  You should use a total sunblock such as zinc oxide.  You should reapply often and wear a large brim hat to make sure that you get no sun exposure on the nose.  I am not aware of any permanent damage that can occur from a mild sunburn after rhinoplasty. 

Gregory Branham, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon